Unmesh Desai: 'Team England have united the nation after a difficult year'
Unmesh Desai AM, City & East
- Credit: PA Images
England got through to the Euro 2020 finals!
It was a great England performance both on and off the field. Team England have united the nation after a difficult, Covid-dominated year. The diversity and cohesion of our team showcases our country at its best.
Gareth Southgate’s open letter before the tournament, calling for a strong stand against discrimination and hate, set the tone for an uplifting month that has brought much-needed joy to the country.
At City Hall, I have pressed the case for better connectivity in East London, in particular the need for a new bridge and extension of the DLR from Beckton to Barking Riverside.
I also raised the issue of the driverless tube and important questions around passenger safety. I know the transport unions are concerned about this and I will keep a watch on developments.
I addressed the issue of antisemitism at the London Assembly, drawing attention to an unacceptable increase of this hate crime in the capital, as well as raising issues around counter-terrorism and extremism.
Finally, I am pleased to see measures being discussed in Parliament to make assaults on retail workers a specific criminal offence.
You may also want to watch:
I secured all-party backing for my motion at the Assembly calling for such action last year and hope the necessary legislation will be in place to protect these key workers, who have supported us all during the pandemic.
- 1 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 2 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 3 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 4 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 5 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 6 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 7 College students lend a hand to improve recreation ground
- 8 Students work with film crews on Amazon, Apple and Netflix productions
- 9 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 10 Dagenham boss hails squad options ahead of Wrexham trip