Up and running in toy campaign
WE are up and running in the Community Links and Newham Recorder Christmas Toy Appeal for 2009. And in the first seven days, we have amassed almost 600 gifts. For the first week, that is a brilliant start and proof of how generous local people are. H
WE are up and running in the Community Links and Newham Recorder Christmas Toy Appeal for 2009.
And in the first seven days, we have amassed almost 600 gifts. For the first week, that is a brilliant start and proof of how generous local people are. However, that is slightly less than last year.
But it is just that...a start. Now we need another 12,400 toys to ensure no child is left out at this special time of year.
For the 32nd year we have proudly launched our appeal in conjunction with the group that is at the heart of local in our borough, care organisation Community Links.
You may also want to watch:
There are just five weeks left until Christmas Eve, so we need help now.
This week, I will attempt my usual sponsored swim for the campaign and if you want to sponsor me, all donations will be greatfully accepted. What I raise will hopefully be matched by funding from the Newham Recorder's parent company Archant, through their scheme called Archant Gold.
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 5 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 6 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 7 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 8 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 9 Thousands of 'illegal cigarettes' seized in Barking and Dagenham raids
- 10 Becontree business celebrates 10 years of helping parties go with a swing
This week, Newham Chamber of Commerce signed up and agreed to stage a "bring a toy collection" at their monthly breakfast meeting on Thursday December 17.
Links Co-Founder and Senior Advisor Kevin Jenkins is to address the chamber's monthly meeting on November to tell them about the campaign and how it is going.
A letter is being sent to all members asking for their support.
We hold our quiz night soon so get your entries in and tables booked quickly.
We received news of two events this week that will aid the appeal.
Meanwhile, Community Links are busy preparing for the parties at which the toys you donate will be handed out, bringing joy to so many. The parties are to be staged at Links' main base in Barking Road, Canning Town.
Please do all you can to make this year's appeal one to remember. There are a lot of young people depending on YOU.