VIDEO: ‘Huge’ fire devastates Dagenham home

PUBLISHED: 16:19 28 November 2012 | UPDATED: 17:28 28 November 2012

Fire has devastated the house in Sterry Gardens, Dagenham Heathway

Fire has devastated the house in Sterry Gardens, Dagenham Heathway


Neighbours have spoken of the fire that ravaged a Dagenham home, leaving much of the roof missing from the property.

The fire at a house in Sterry Gardens, Dagenham Heathway, was of such ferocity that it woke neighbours on all sides when it took hold at around 3.15am this morning (November 28).

One man was taken by ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, suffering from four per cent burns. Another two people, including an elderly woman, were checked by paramedics at the scene but not treated.

Paul Clarke, whose rear garden backs on to that of the fire-ravaged home, said: “I looked out the back window at about 3.30am and that is when I saw it. It was all flames. The whole upstairs and back window was just a mass of flames. We could see them through the roof. At that time of the morning all I could see was the light of the fire.

Paul, 51, of Rogers Road, added: “There was a sort of crackling noise and a popping. I suppose that was the wood going.”

Firefighters spent almost three hours battling the blaze, with around 30 firefighters attending the incident and eyewitness reports of some 15 emergency vehicles lining the streets. Surrounding properties were also evacuated as a precaution.

Idriss Ourbiah, 42, of Reede Road, managed to film some of the blaze from his back window. He said: “There was something like an explosion. I didn’t hear anything but I saw my windows shudder, like they had been hit by a blast of air.

“I could smell the smoke and when I went to the window I could see the fire, it was huge. I have seen a bomb explosion but I have never in my life seen anything like this house burning.”

Firefighters are unable to enter and carry out a thorough search of the property, despite bringing the fire under control before 6am, until it is stabilised by urban search and rescue crews.

Dagenham station manager Paul McClenaghan said the house was still being treated as a crime scene and that a forensic investigation was liable to continue through to tomorrow with roads remaining closed off to vehicles and non-residents.

The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post