Vinny’s aiming for a dozen
SUPER-featherweight prospect Vinny Mitchell aims to record his 12th consecutive victory when he appears at a London venue on February 13, on a Frank Warren promotion. Mitchell, based at Canning Town s Ultrachem TKO Gym, is following in the footsteps of
SUPER-featherweight prospect Vinny Mitchell aims to record his 12th consecutive victory when he appears at a London venue on February 13, on a Frank Warren promotion.
Mitchell, based at Canning Town's Ultrachem TKO Gym, is following in the footsteps of older brother Kevin, who won a world lightweight title eliminator against Breidiss Prescott in Newcastle recently, and gets a supporting bout on the promoter's first London show of 2010.
Mitchell is currently trained by father and son duo Jimmy and Mark Tibbs and another member of their stable, Billy Joe Saunders, is named on the bill.
He gets a supporting bout spot alongside his former Olympic team-mates Frankie Gavin and James DeGale.
You may also want to watch:
Topping the bill at the venue, which is still to be confirmed, will be the British heavyweight title clash between big-punching rivals - Londoner Danny Williams and Norwich's Sam Sexton.
Also featured is the British welterweight title match between Kell Brook and Michael Jennings.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
IAN NAPA is booked to make a British bantamweight title defence in the feature fight on Frank Maloney's Brentwood Centre promotion on January 22.
Long-serving campaigner Napa bounced back from a European title fight defeat to keep his British crown, beating Liverpool's Gary Davies at the Bolton Arena in October.
Now he faces Yorkshire rival Jamie McDonnell, who earlier lost on a split-decision when he challenged Chris Edwards for the vacant British super-flyweight championship.
Also on the Brentwood bill is a clash between Ashley Sexton and Usman Ahmed, with the vacant English flyweight title on the line.
Super-featherweight Carl Johanneson, remembered for his thrilling 2008 'Fight of the Year' clash with Kevin Mitchell for the British super featherweight title, is also named on Maloney's first show of the new year.
Powerful heavyweight Larry Olubamiwo, who has won five of his six fights under the Maloney banner since quitting an amateur career at the the Repton BC, also looks to record his first win of 2010 on the Brentwood Centre bill.