Vultures are circling again
IT IS BARELY four weeks since the end of the summer transfer window, but rumours about West Ham being forced to sell players in January already appears to be surfacing. Despite the Hammers being able to hold on to England centre half Matthew Upson (left)
IT IS BARELY four weeks since the end of the summer transfer window, but rumours about West Ham being forced to sell players in January already appears to be surfacing.
Despite the Hammers being able to hold on to England centre half Matthew Upson (left) both last January and then again in the summer, it seems that the vultures are circling once again with Spurs boss Harry Redknapp linked with a move for the 30-year-old.
The West Ham captain was a target for Italian side Fiorentina on deadline day, with the Serie A outfit allegedly being told if they upped their �7million bid to �9million the deal could be done.
Fiorentina refused, while Spurs' bid of around �4million was immediately rejected, but come January, much could depend on both West Ham's financial predicament and their position in the Premier League table as to whether the club would consider selling one of their prized assets, with Spurs and perhaps more crucially Arsenal waiting in the wings.
You may also want to watch:
Robert Green's criticism of his fellow players was seen by many as the first step towards him asking for a move away from West Ham.
But Hammers fans will cling to the belief that neither Upson, or Green will want to go through the rigmarole of a move in January, when they are battling for a place in Fabio Capello's England squad for next summer's World Cup Finals.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years