We don't want London's undesirables
ALONG with my relatives, friends and neighbours, we have just heard on the news…that Barking and Dagenham have just got the Green light to build a prison! Along with Chelmsford, who already have one. 60 years ago we become the borough for London s oversp
ALONG with my relatives, friends and neighbours, we have just heard on the news...that Barking and Dagenham have just got the Green light to build a prison! Along with Chelmsford, who already have one.
60 years ago we become the borough for London's overspill to ease over crowding after the war.
Now we are the borough for London's undesirables!
If London doesn't want them, we get lumbered as London's dumping ground.
You may also want to watch:
Our councillors and MPs have kept quiet over this issue.
Probably because Rainham successfully protested against a prison and a large church being built there.
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 3 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 6 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
It was people power that won the day, now it's our turn to protest, or show how we feel at the next elections and tell our councillors and MPs now!
Where are they going to build it - where new housing estates are going to be, on the Riverside? That's the only place I can think it could possibly go!
Do you want to live near a prison? Then why should we!
Mrs Swinburn - Dagenham