Well done to all for St George's Day
My thanks must go out to everyone who came out on St George s Day this week and helped us at the council put on a celebration we can all be proud of. I m pleased to say that we managed to organise a St George s Day event in every one of the borough s ward
My thanks must go out to everyone who came out on St George's Day this week and helped us at the council put on a celebration we can all be proud of.
I'm pleased to say that we managed to organise a St George's Day event in every one of the borough's wards, including two large events on Barking's Abbey Green and in Old Dagenham Park.
I went to almost every one of the events, and I was delighted to see that each one was well supported by local people, all seizing the opportunity to celebrate the day of our national saint.
What I saw at these events were people who are proud of their country and the borough they live in, but were worried about what people would think of them for celebrating St George's Day and flying the flag.
You may also want to watch:
I hope this week's events have shown that those days are over, and that, with the support of the council, we can come together as a borough and legitimately celebrate St George's Day.
That is why I will be reporting back to council officials, and telling them that our first attempt at St George's Day was universally popular.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 5 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Businesses urged to comply with new food labelling law
- 8 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 9 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 10 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
I'll also be telling them that next year's celebrations need to be bigger and better, and that they need now to make St George's Day a regular fixture in the Barking and Dagenham calendar.
46 Shelldon Road