Well done to all for St George's Day
My thanks must go out to everyone who came out on St George s Day this week and helped us at the council put on a celebration we can all be proud of. I m pleased to say that we managed to organise a St George s Day event in every one of the borough s ward
My thanks must go out to everyone who came out on St George's Day this week and helped us at the council put on a celebration we can all be proud of.
I'm pleased to say that we managed to organise a St George's Day event in every one of the borough's wards, including two large events on Barking's Abbey Green and in Old Dagenham Park.
I went to almost every one of the events, and I was delighted to see that each one was well supported by local people, all seizing the opportunity to celebrate the day of our national saint.
What I saw at these events were people who are proud of their country and the borough they live in, but were worried about what people would think of them for celebrating St George's Day and flying the flag.
You may also want to watch:
I hope this week's events have shown that those days are over, and that, with the support of the council, we can come together as a borough and legitimately celebrate St George's Day.
That is why I will be reporting back to council officials, and telling them that our first attempt at St George's Day was universally popular.
- 1 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 2 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 4 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 5 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 6 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 9 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 10 Hospice sister on supporting patients with 'lifeline' video calls
I'll also be telling them that next year's celebrations need to be bigger and better, and that they need now to make St George's Day a regular fixture in the Barking and Dagenham calendar.
46 Shelldon Road