West Ham may still have gym fight on hands
THE future of West Ham Boxing Club s Black Lion gym headquarters could still be threatened if pub landlord Tom Friel goes ahead with his long-term plans to redevelop the site. The club considered the threat to their historic Plaistow boxing gym, which was
THE future of West Ham Boxing Club's Black Lion gym headquarters could still be threatened if pub landlord Tom Friel goes ahead with his long-term plans to redevelop the site.
The club considered the threat to their historic Plaistow boxing gym, which was part of the landlord's plans to redevelop the site and build flats, was over.
Club secretary Lianne Jameson said: "The planning application has been refused by Newham Council and two members of our committee understood from Tom Friel that he would not be going ahead with the development."
However, Tom Friel said: "I have not withdrawn my planning application. The current lease runs until 2013 and I will be honouring it until then.
You may also want to watch:
"We will have to sit down and discuss a future lease."
* WEST HAM BC celebrate a successful season with their awards night at the New Granwell Social club, Whitwell Road, Plaistow on Friday evening, when the club's annual presentations will be held.
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 3 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 6 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 9 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 10 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences