West Ham may still have gym fight on hands
THE future of West Ham Boxing Club s Black Lion gym headquarters could still be threatened if pub landlord Tom Friel goes ahead with his long-term plans to redevelop the site. The club considered the threat to their historic Plaistow boxing gym, which was
THE future of West Ham Boxing Club's Black Lion gym headquarters could still be threatened if pub landlord Tom Friel goes ahead with his long-term plans to redevelop the site.
The club considered the threat to their historic Plaistow boxing gym, which was part of the landlord's plans to redevelop the site and build flats, was over.
Club secretary Lianne Jameson said: "The planning application has been refused by Newham Council and two members of our committee understood from Tom Friel that he would not be going ahead with the development."
However, Tom Friel said: "I have not withdrawn my planning application. The current lease runs until 2013 and I will be honouring it until then.
You may also want to watch:
"We will have to sit down and discuss a future lease."
* WEST HAM BC celebrate a successful season with their awards night at the New Granwell Social club, Whitwell Road, Plaistow on Friday evening, when the club's annual presentations will be held.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge release six as they announce retained list