What price a promise?
OPINIONS on the rubbish bag saga are divided. The 95 per cent in favour of bins must clearly be a figment of someone s imagination. We all went away happy from a residents association meeting a year ago when Cllr Gerry Vincent told us that he had receiv
OPINIONS on the rubbish bag saga are divided.
The 95 per cent in favour of bins must clearly be a figment of someone's imagination.
We all went away happy from a residents' association meeting a year ago when Cllr Gerry Vincent told us that he had received a written assurance from the chief executive that after the end of the pilot period, no residents would be compelled to have bins.
This assurance was repeated in a circular letting in March to several of our members from Margaret Hodge MP. In it she said that the council would be honouring its pledge to residents who wished to opt out.
You may also want to watch:
But we now get the truth from a council PR person quoted: "The only properties which will be exempt will be those which have no room to store the bins".
Proof, surely, of what little trust you can plane in a promise from Barking and Dagenham Council.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge release six as they announce retained list