Win tickets to The Members' gig
THE Members were one of the wittier guitar bands to emerge in the aftermath of the 1977 punk explosion, and we are giving away tickets to their gig at The Bridgehouse II, Canning Town, on March 27. Having got together in the sleepy suburbs of Bagshot and
THE Members were one of the wittier guitar bands to emerge in the aftermath of the 1977 punk explosion, and we are giving away tickets to their gig at The Bridgehouse II, Canning Town, on March 27.
Having got together in the sleepy suburbs of Bagshot and Camberley, they were too far removed from the London that produced The Clash and the Sex Pistols.
When they did break through, in 1979, they did so not by singing about high-rise living, dole queues and anarchy, but with Sound Of The Suburbs - a song that wryly reflected their somewhat more mundane suburban roots.
It became a punk classic and was produced by drummer Adrian Lillywhite's brother Steve, who went on to produce U2, Simple Minds, Morrissey, The Rolling Stones and The Pogues, as well as marrying Kirsty MacColl.
The Members were also one of the first British guitar bands to fully incorporate reggae into their music.
Tickets to The Bridgehouse II gig are �10.
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 3 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 7 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 8 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 9 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 10 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
WE are giving away two pairs of tickets.
To be in with a chance of winning, send your answer to the question below, along with your name, address and phone number, to The Members Competition, c/o Lindsay Jones, Media House, 539 High Road, Ilford IG1 1UD no later than 9am, March 19.
Q: Who produced Sound of the Suburbs?
The first out of the hat will also get a CD and a T-shirt.