Woman dies after fire at Marks Gate tower block
- Credit: London Fire Brigade
A woman died after a blaze at a block of flats in Marks Gate last night.
Firefighters were called to a 17-storey building in Hatch Grove just after 8pm on Wednesday, March 17, where a fire had broken out in a flat on the seventh floor.
About 50 people fled the building before the fire brigade arrived, but one woman died at the scene.
A Met spokesperson said the woman is believed to be in her 20s, her next of kin have been informed and police are making enquiries into the circumstances.
Most of the three-roomed flat was damaged by the fire, which was under control at 9.16pm.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is being investigated by the brigade and the Met.
Five fire engines and 35 crew members from the Dagenham, Romford and Ilford stations attended the scene.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 3 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 4 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 5 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
- 6 Views sought on Sebastian Court community space
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 8 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
- 9 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 10 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police