Woman escapes from train rapist
DETECTIVES are appealing for information on the three-month anniversary of an attempted rape at Barking Station. The fiend, who called himself John , attacked a 25-year-old woman after striking up a conversation with her on the Tube and following her out
DETECTIVES are appealing for information on the three-month anniversary of an attempted rape at Barking Station.
The fiend, who called himself "John", attacked a 25-year-old woman after striking up a conversation with her on the Tube and following her outside.
He started chatting to the woman on the District line at Mile End Station and, despite telling her he lived in East Ham, "John" stayed on the train to Barking.
He said he would get the number five bus back so they could continue their conversation.
You may also want to watch:
During their chat the attacker told the woman he had recently moved to London from Newcastle where he had been studying to be an electrician.
At around 10.30pm on Thursday December 3 the pair got off the Tube at Barking and left the station separately.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
But the woman became frightened when she noticed "John" was following her through the town centre.
She tried to get help from a driver in a London Road car park, but he drove away without seeing her.
At this point the woman was grabbed by the attacker and pulled behind a row of shops where he attempted to rape her.
The security lights of a Chinese restaurant came on and the victim managed to free herself from the would-be rapist.
The woman escaped and alerted the police.
"John", who is described as black, about 30 years old, stocky, with brown eyes, ran off in the direction of North Street, Barking.
He was wearing a white top, blue jeans, dark brown Timberland boots, a brown suede or leather jacket and a navy blue hat with a EDF logo on it.
Witnesses or anyone with information is asked to call the Metropolitan Police's specialist sex crime squad, Sapphire Unit, on 01708 779 623.
To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.