Tossed cigarette costs Dagenham woman almost £1,500
- Credit: Google
A woman has been fined almost £1,500 after a cigarette butt was thrown out of her car.
The driver of Shyra Knight’s car was spotted committing the offence by a Barking and Dagenham Council enforcement officer in Ripple Road, Barking, in February last year.
As the registered owner of the blue Vauxhall Corsa, Ms Knight was required to provide details of who was behind the wheel at the time, which would allow the littering fine to be issued.
However, she didn't and was summoned to court.
Ms Knight, of Fitzstephen Road, didn't attend the hearing at Barkingside Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, February 9. But she was ordered to pay £1,470 made up of a fine, costs and victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: "Littering is littering and we will not stand for that in Barking and Dagenham. No matter what form it is in.
"If this person had just used a bin instead, we wouldn’t be discussing this today. Cleaning up after other people is a waste of taxpayer’s money – money that could be better spent elsewhere.
- 1 'Appallingly dirty' Dagenham shop doubling up as 'substandard' hotel
- 2 Woman seeks long lost relatives who may be in Dagenham
- 3 Dagenham man sentenced to life for raping teenage girl in his wife's car
- 4 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 5 Council failed to investigate woman's concern of 'cancer cluster'
- 6 Eight arrests after stabbing in Barking
- 7 Appeal to find Barking mother-of-two who went missing in 2017
- 8 Man, 20, found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced to life for 'brutal' knife attack murder
- 10 Jailed: Man who ran a cannabis farm in Barking
"I hope this case sends a strong message to others. If you don’t want to pay the fine, don’t do the crime."