X Factor oldies on song
A GROUP of elderly residents and their carers proved Dagenham s X Factor star Stacey Solomon is not the borough s only singing sensation. Pensioners and staff at Gable Court Nursing Home, Roxy Avenue, Chadwell Heath, performed a host of classics on Wedne
A GROUP of elderly residents and their carers proved Dagenham's X Factor star Stacey Solomon is not the borough's only singing sensation.
Pensioners and staff at Gable Court Nursing Home, Roxy Avenue, Chadwell Heath, performed a host of classics on Wednesday at their first talent show.
Stepping into the shoes of Elvis Presley was 62-year-old carer Paul Lucktung, who impressed his audience with the hit, Release Me.
Paul also sang Tom Jones' Green, Green Grass of Home as he clinched victory.
Among the other performers was fellow carer, 46-year-old Rommel Olmedo, who sang Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight and resident Monica Podd-Herd, 86, who took to the floor with You Are My Sunshine.
Care home manager Nellie Sooben said the event was a big success.
- 1 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 2 Local makers market coming to Barking Riverside this Christmas
- 3 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 4 Residents without Covid jab should be challenged, senior councillor says
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 Covid-19: How Barking and Dagenham's figures compare to last year
- 7 Man facing 'lifelong consequences' of Barking traffic cone assault
- 8 Man arrested, two taken to hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 10 Dagenham's injury problems building up ahead of Notts County trip
"It was only supposed to run from 2pm- 3pm but continued until 5pm. Everyone was having so much fun,'' she said.
"Most of our residents are very dependent and poorly. We weren't sure if they would want to join in. But we had around 12 pensioners singing in the end.
"I was surprised by how much talent we have here!" The home now plans to make the show an annual event.