Year's jail for fraud who stole �45,000
A BENEFITS cheat who defrauded the taxpayer out of �45,000 has been sentenced to a year behind bars. Edward Meredith, 46, of Holgate Road, Dagenham, was claiming income support, incapacity benefit and housing and council tax benefits when he started work
A BENEFITS cheat who defrauded the taxpayer out of �45,000 has been sentenced to a year behind bars.
Edward Meredith, 46, of Holgate Road, Dagenham, was claiming income support, incapacity benefit and housing and council tax benefits when he started work as a warehouseman in April 2003.
Instead of telling the council or the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about his change of circumstances he continued to claim benefits.
He also submitted fraudulent applications to renew the benefits he was not entitled to.
His crimes came to light when the DWP realised Meredith had not declared his employment.
Together with the council's fraud team, they launched an investigation which uncovered a fraud of �45,000, spread over four years.
- 1 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 2 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 3 Man sublet his council property in Barking while living in West Yorkshire
- 4 Fourth man charged with murder of Dagenham man Tomasz Waga
- 5 Woman treated at scene of blaze at Dagenham block of flats
- 6 Energy price cap rise could push 'thousands of local people' into fuel poverty, MP claims
- 7 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 8 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 9 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 10 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
After he failed to appear at Barking Magistrates Court last September a warrant was issued for Meredith's arrest.
Meredith pleaded guilty at Snaresbrook Crown Court on March 20.
Judge Hughes said the fraud was so serious a custodial sentence was the only option and sentenced him to 12 months in prison.The court heard Meredith intends to pay back the money he owes.