Young citizens put paid to mindless teen myth
Chris Carter I WAS privileged to witness the crowning of our Young Citizen on Tuesday and it was a humbling experience. Besides Laura Downs being honoured for her work with children excluded from school, Charlie Hogg received the runners-up prize in the Redbridge Rota
I WAS privileged to witness the crowning of our Young Citizen on Tuesday and it was a humbling experience.
Besides Laura Downs being honoured for her work with children excluded from school, Charlie Hogg received the runners-up prize in the Redbridge Rotary/Recorder sponsored scheme.
Also present at Gilwell Park, Chingford, were pupils from Valentines High, Gants Hill, who received their Interact presidential collars, along with students from Ilford County High honoured for winning a monthly Young Citizen award.
You may also want to watch:
All of these young people smash the myth that teenagers spend their time committing crime and terrorising the community.
They have made the decision to spend their valuable time helping people and contributing greatly to the community.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
Rotary members gathered at the event were visibly impressed and will doubtless go away with a fresh impression of young people.
And that's what we hope our launching of the Young Citizen award, with the help of Redbridge Rotary Club, will achieve.
We have, along with other media organisations, been accused of demonising teenagers and painting a false picture of how it is.
Young Citizen gives people the chance to glory in the good things youngsters do and we hope to carry on the scheme and bring our readers some good news stories about teenagers.