Dagenham & Redbridge boss Ben Strevens admitted he felt 'incredibly humbled and embarrassed' after their FA Cup exit at Bracknell Town.

After a bright start against their Southern League hosts, Daggers struggled to impose themselves on the fourth qualifying round tie in the second half.

And substitute Kam English made the National League outfit pay with an injury-time effort ensuring a 1-0 giantkilling win.

RECAP: https://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/sport/23855859.fa-cup-4q-bracknell-town-1-dagenham-redbridge-0/

"I'm incredibly humbled and embarrassed," Strevens told the club website.

"All credit to Bracknell, the game plan they did and the way they defended, put numbers behind the ball and tried to stop us play because it really worked for them. Limited us to very little.

"I just didn't sense we was in any sort of control in the second half and the goal coming so late with us not being able to do anything about it.
I didn't expect that today."

Daggers went into the encounter without a win in eight league outings, but they had produced a strong display in a 1-1 draw at Oldham Athletic a week earlier.

And Strevens felt his side had the right attitude for cup action, adding: "We're not in a position to overlook anything.

"It certainly hasn't been the mindset or the feeling I've had from the group.

"Going away to Oldham takes care of itself, you're playing in front of a massive crowd on a lovely pitch, everyone expecting you not to win or to get anything out of it.

"It's a different type of feeling and mentality you have to have when you come to an away game against lesser opposition.

"I'm always really respectful of the opposition, fair play to Bracknell, well done to them.

"But I'm embarrassed right now and I can't say I've been embarrassed too many times, as a Dagenham & Redbridge player or now manager. It has really hurt."

Josh Hare and Frank Vincent had early efforts deflected behind, while Inih Effiong headed just wide of the far post.

And Freddie Sears was denied by the legs of keeper Simon Grant, who foiled substitutes Charley Kendall and Omar Mussa in the second half.

Elliot Justham produced a diving save from English, but was beaten by the same player in the fourth minute of stoppage time from close range.

And Strevens was very frustrated with the manner of the winning goal.

"The one thing I've always said about this group is we may have lost some standout quality in the last year or so but I've been supportive of how humble and hard-working they've been," he said.

"I've always come out and said that after games. But I don't think we showed that humbleness in the 95th minute when we haven't been at our best and it's still 0-0 and just allowed an easy cross to come into the box.

"We wouldn't have done that if we was away at a League One or League Two team. Or at Chesterfield or someone like that in our league.

"It was just 'they'll cross it, we'll clear it out'. That's not a characteristic I want from this group and I haven't seen it from this group. But I can't say I did not see that. I did see it and stood on the sideline feeling that way."