Dagenham were left empty-handed after their long journey to Norwich after suffering a 20-12 loss.

The visitors dominated possession and territory, but there was an uncharacteristic bluntness to their attack which was not helped by the conditions or ferocious defending of the home side.

The D’s started the game relatively strong, earning a few penalties and testing the Norwich defence.

But the hosts were first to score, when an exceptional counter-attack from under their own posts led to their winger showing a clean pair of heels for an early 7-0 lead.

Dagenham did not panic and set about their work, returning the Norwich clearing kicks with interest through the back-three of Liam Power, Nat Farrell and Jermaine Darkwa.

But despite spending the rest of the half attacking the Norwich try line they were unable to find the finishing pass.

They were rewarded from a series of scrums with penalties, but still couldn’t find the all important score and eventually opted for a kick at goal from 40 metres out, but Tommy Cameron was denied by the right post.

The second half continued in similar fashion, with Dagenham controlling most of the possession but struggling to make significant headway.

After a number of good kicks, Norwich repelled the D’s back to their own half and were awarded a penalty in front of the posts to extend their lead to 10-0.

Dagenham finally found the opportunity they were looking for, Jordan Darkwa showing excellent skill in the air to reclaim the restart and offload to Will Knowlden who beat two defenders for the try.

Cameron added the conversion to make it 10-7 but after another prolonged period of contesting the middle of the field, a Norwich player turned the ball over and sent a long kick in behind the Dagenham defence.

A good chase by the winger put pressure on and Dagenham were deemed to have illegally obstructed him as he looked to ground the ball, with the referee awarding a penalty try and yellow card to the visitors.

It wasn’t long before the hosts had the chance to extend their lead as, despite demonstrating a dominant scrum all game, the D’s were penalised on this occasion and the Norwich kicker duly slotted the ball over the posts from 30 metres for a 20-7 lead.

Dagenham continued to battle, with Cook and Cameron trying to put pace into the attack, but the usual cutting edge just couldn’t be found.

The Norwich centre was shown a yellow card for a late shot on Cook inside the last 10 minutes and Dagenham were finally able to take advantage as, after simple hands down the backline, Power dived into the corner for a consolation try.

Cameron couldn’t add the touchline conversion in difficult conditions, leaving Dagenham eight points adrift and just shy of a losing bonus point.

They now have another rest week coming up, before taking on Saffron Walden on November 4.