Dagenham & Redbridge were dumped out of the FA Trophy after a penalty shoot-out with Peterborough Sports.

Sam Ling's 17th-minute opener was cancelled out early in the second half, before the visitors kept their nerve from the spot to cause an upset.

Cuba Meyer fired a decent chance across the face of goal for National League North Sports on 11 minutes.

But Daggers took the lead six minutes later when Ling headed home bravely at the far post, when Harry Phipps picked him out from a corner.

Freddie Sears and Ling combined to set up a chance for Charley Kendall, but his header sailed over the crossbar just before the half-hour mark.

And Ling linked up with Phipps on the right after the restart, with the latter sending a tight angled shot over the target.

Sports got back on terms on 52 minutes when Michael Gash netted, with Ryan Hill returning to action for Daggers as a replacement for Nik Tavares just before the hour mark.

Elliot Justham had to make a fine save to deny Dion Sembie-Ferris a second goal for the visitors, before Hill almost caught Peter Crook out with a speculative 35-yard effort at the other end on 63 minutes.

Daggers made a double change, with Conor Lawless returning from injury to replace Frank Vincent as Kendall made way for Inih Effiong.

And Lawless went close to restoring the home side's lead just moments after his arrival with a 30-yard free-kick.

Sports found the net again on 68 minutes, but were denied by an offside flag, before Effiong did well to find room and let fly from distance to force Crook into a parrying save.

Effiong was played in behind the Sports defence as normal time drew to a close but flashed his shot just wide of the target.

And Elliott Johnson sent a weak effort over the bar after doing well to force his way into the box in the third minute of stoppage time.

That meant a shootout and Effiong cancelled out Dan Lawlor's opener, before Justham saved from Gash.

Jake Hessenthaler and Oisin Gallagher found the net with the next two spot-kicks, before Sears saw his effort saved by Crook.

Hayden Cann put Peterborough ahead, before Lawless was also denied, and Connor Johnson converted to send Daggers out.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Johnson, Tavares (Hill 58), Eastman, Hessenthaler, Vincent (Lawless 64), Phipps, Kendall (Effiong 64), Ling, Appiah-Forson, Sears.

Unused subs: Strizovic, Francis-Clarke, Longe-King, Mussa.