Dagenham & Redbridge returned to winning ways as a pair of strikes either side of the break saw off Maidenhead United 4-1 at the Chigwell Construction Stadium on Saturday.

The Daggers went into the game in 13th place, just a point ahead of their National League counterparts, who found themselves on the end of yet another defeat away from home.

Ben Strevens’ side, who were winless in three, took immediate control from the kick-off and should have been head after just 10 minutes when Harry Phipps blazed a header over the bar when it looked simpler to score.

The visitors, finding it tough to create any real threat in behind the Daggers’ back line, then had an excellent chance themselves through the lively Ashley Nathaniel-George. He beat the struggling Sam Ling on the touchline with a simple flick before rounding Elliot Justham, but couldn’t find the finish as his chipped effort was cleared off the line by Tom Eastham.

The home side then started to really turn the screw and opened the scoring on 32 minutes when Phipps expertly powered a header beyond Maidenhead goalkeeper Craig Ross to give Strevens’ side a deserved lead.

The pressure was relentless from the home side, who doubled their advantage just four minutes later with a beautifully constructed goal.

A lovely interchange between midfielder Lewis Page and goalscorer Phipps down the left saw Josh Rees pull away from his man in the middle and expertly slot home across the face of goal to put the home side firmly in control before half-time following Page’s square pass.

Maidenhead came out with intent in the second half and came painfully close to pulling a goal back as Casey Pettit rattled the crossbar after excellent footwork in the Daggers’ box from Nathaniel George.

After an uplift in confidence, Alan Devonshire’s men continued to apply the pressure as Sam Barratt’s curled effort forced an excellent save from Justham on the hour mark. Pettit then had a good effort saved before the isolated Tristan Abrahams had a shot blocked during a turbulent period for the home side.

In an attempt to regain control, the Daggers regressed into their own half, looking to see the game out, but a rare mistake from David Longe-Kinge let Abrahams in, who fired a good effort off the post and in, drawing one back for Maidenhead.

A fiery exchange between the two sets of players after Nathaniel-George went down from a strong challenge on the halfway line led to a ferocious reaction from the home fans, seemingly clicking Dagenham back into gear and creating several chances to kill the game.

Strevens’ side were then awarded a penalty after the ball struck the arm of Maidenhead captain Alan Massey, with Ryan Hill stepping up to convert beyond the helpless Ross.

The excellent Page then capped off a superb afternoon with an outstanding finish to secure all three points and a first win in three for the Daggers, condemning the away side to their 16th league defeat of the season.