Search

Conquest hoping for Euro title shot

PUBLISHED: 13:00 17 June 2015

Tony Conquest (black shorts) defeats Jiri Svacina (pic: Philip Sharkey/TGSPHOTO)

Tony Conquest (black shorts) defeats Jiri Svacina (pic: Philip Sharkey/TGSPHOTO)

Philip Sharkey/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Cruiserweight waiting for confirmation of bout

Tony Conquest hopes his European title chance is confirmed tomorrow (Thursday) at the Rome offices of the EBU when the purse offers for his meeting with Croatian Stjepan Vugdelija will be opened.

The popular Dagenham fighter and the 29-year-old Vugdelija have been paired for the vacant EU cruiserweight title with the deadline date announced by the European authority.

It’s an opportunity for former Commonwealth champion Conquest who scored his 15th win in 17 fights, easily beating Czech Jiri Svacina at York Hall on Friday night.

“Tony is determined to win another title and we see this as a great chance,” said manager Richard Clark.

“We just hope we hear good news from the EBU this week.”

The 30-year-old Conquest has a more impressive record than Vugdelija who has lost four of his 17 contests, but has halted 10 rivals.

Vugdelija briefly held the EU title last year after beating Italian Maurizio Lovaglio in September, but lost it when making his first defence in December against Belgian Bilal Laggoune.

With the unbeaten 22-year-old Laggoune stepping up to challenge for the full EBU cruiserweight belt, Conquest is lined up for EU title fight.

It should supply more thrills than his York Hall win on Friday against a rival looking strictly for survival not success.

Inches taller Svacina showed little inclination to attack, looking quite content to stay at long distance, retreating and leaning back over the ropes as Conquest pressed forward.

The Dagenham fighter won every round on the referee’s scorecard, but was frustrated by his rival’s lack of aggression.

“He refused to open up. I’ve had harder sparring sessions in the gym,” said Conquest. “It was a terrible fight.”

Also winning on points at York Hall was light-heavyweight Anthony Yarde, who was a 40-35 winner over Latvian Stanislavs Makarenko in a four-rounder on the Andy Ayling promotion.

Big-hitting Yarde had halted his first pro victim in May and powered solid blows to the head and body of the Latvian, who was floored by a powerful left hook in the second round, but survived the distance.

Welterweight Sam McNess could not make his pro debut on the bill because his pro licence has been delayed - but plans to appear at York Hall on July 17.

n Kevin Mitchell looks to fight again in October after his unsuccessful attempt to take the WBC lightweight title from Venezuelan Jorge Linares at the 02 Arena last month.

Dagenham’s Mitchell, 30, has already returned to the gym, but must allow the facial injuries that caused the fight to be halted 10 seconds before the end of the 10 round, to heal completely.

No opponent has been named, but Mitchell, who was in front on the judges’ scorecards against Linares, is desperate for another world title bid.

n Dagenham Boxing Club celebrate another successful season with their awards night at the Eastbroook function suite on Friday July 17.

Personalities from the sport will be presenting the annual trophies to the winners on the evening, which starts at 7pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post