Conquest seeking title chance
PUBLISHED: 10:30 10 June 2015
Former Dagenham amateur returns to ring
Tony Conquest awaits his return to action on the Andy Ayling Promotion at York Hall on Friday night, seeking the victory that should set him up for a title chance.
The Dagenham cruiserweight is booked for just his second ring appearance since losing his Commonwealth title to big punching Ovill McKenzie in April last year – only his second defeat in 16 paid contests.
Conquest returned with a six-round win over Croatian Tomislav Rudan in March, flooring his rival twice with body punches on his way to a one sided 60-52 points victory.
And, as he celebrates his 31st birthday next month, Conquest is determined to impress as he awaits confirmation of his opponent in an eight-round contest on the show that will be screened on the BoxNation TV channel.
“I know a good win this week could lead to an early title challenge,” said Conquest, who clinched the Commonweath belt in the York Hall ring just six weeks before the McKenzie defeat.
He impressed as he scored a good win over fancied Aussie Daniel Ammann, clearly taking the vacant title on the cards of the ringside judges at the Bethnal Green venue.
The former Dagenham BC favourite would welcome a British title challenge and the chance of a Lonsdale belt, but knows he must stake his claim with a good win on Friday.
The night’s feature fight sees light-heavyweight Miles Shinkwin face Hungarian Bela Juhasz, while another light-heavyweight, Anthony Yarde, looks forward to his second pro bout.
Big-hitting Yarde won his pro debut in just two rounds at Wembley in May and is a product of the local Omnibus boxing club and faces another four-rounder on Friday’s bill.
Former Great Britain and Repton amateur star Sam McNess, trained by Mark Tibbs for his move into the paid ranks, is booked for his debut on the show that also features unbeaten prospect Gary Corcoran.
Light-welterweight Billy Bird, light-middleweight Zack Davies, super-featherweights Boy Jones jnr and Leon Woodstock, plus controversial flyweight Prince Patel are also featured on the promising bill.
Guest Claudio Paulo sparkled as Barking BC took a small group to Bangor, Northern Ireland where they boxed at the Abbey Club tournament on Saturday.
Paulo, from Canning Town’s Peacock BC, impressed against experienced Romanian rival Ben Tudoran, landing effective long range punches to take the first round honours.
Stepping up the pace in the second round he shook the Abbey club boxer with solid hooks and, after landing more effective blows, the bout was eventually stopped in Paulo’s favour.
Barking crowd pleaser Blerim Pjetri gave his usual aggressive display against Abbey favourite John Jo Kelly on the show.
But the home club boxer took Pjetri’s best shots and came back with his own counter punches to earn the decision.
There was another disappointment for Dagenham Boxing Club’s National Schools’ champion Tariq Agius who claimed his award after his scheduled opponent in the finals refused to leave the dressing room in Sheffield recently.
Eager for action, Agius was hoping to move on to the prestigious Three-Nations tournament where the England winners face the Welsh and Scottish title holders in Cardiff later this month.
“After the let-down in the finals where he could not box before a group of his supporters who made the trip to Sheffield, Tariq was really looking forward to competing in the Three Nations event,” said Daggers chief Danny O’Sullivan.
“But now we have been told his weight and class will not be contested in the Cardiff tournament!”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.