Messenger leads the Goresbrook recovery

PUBLISHED: 09:00 08 July 2011

Goresbrooks Israel Ochwo (right) celebrates as he helped his team to an unlikely win with three quick wickets, after the Dagenham side had collapsed to 38-6 earlier in the day

Goresbrooks Israel Ochwo (right) celebrates as he helped his team to an unlikely win with three quick wickets, after the Dagenham side had collapsed to 38-6 earlier in the day


Then Israel Ochwo grabs three quick wickets

Goresbrook 179 beat Hawks 122 by 57 runs

Goresbrook remain just two points off the pace in the Essex County Cricket league Premier Division, however skipper Kurt Whisker was unimpressed as his side limped to an unconvincing victory over a depleted Hawks side, a fine unbeaten 64 from Kane Messenger leading a fight back after the Dagenham side had collapsed to 38 for 6.

“With all the rain on Friday batting conditions weren’t easy, but we were far too loose in our shot selection and we gave them two wickets with poor running between the wickets” fumed the Whisker.

“We won the game at least, but I thought it was probably our worst performance of the season. May & Baker will take us apart next week if we’re that casual.”

The Goresbrook captain was one of the two run out victims as he was left high and dry after a suicidal call from Richard Williamson. Whisker’s dismissal, after the early departure of Michael Rooke caught behind, left Goresbrook at 21-2 and when Chris Burke and Lawrence Walsh followed soon after, Hawks were flying having reduced Goresbrook to 23-4.

The situation soon got worse as Williamson wasn’t able to make amends for his earlier error, the right-hander edging behind for nine and when Jordan Calverley gloved a bouncer to keeper Petrus William, the Dagenham side were reeling at 38-6.

At this stage, Hawks opening bowlers Witter and Ryan both had two wickets for virtually nothing and Goresbrook’s main hope was that batting would get easier once the ball became older and that the depleted hosts would struggle for a fifth bowler assuming the innings went 45 overs.

Fortunately, in Kane Messenger, Goresbrook have an all rounder who thrives under pressure and the number seven dug in to ensure that his team batted as many overs as possible.

Afzal Hussain provided the initial support with a counter-attacking 22, but then Richard Williams and Messenger produced a partnership of 73 to push the score up towards 150. Williams hit an invaluable 26 before becoming the second run out victim, however Messenger remained undefeated on 64 and with some late boundaries from Israel Ochwo and Shaun Ross, Goresbrook mustered 179 before being dismissed.

That score soon looked more than adequate as Ochwo tore in to take three early wickets and when Michael Rooke picked up the scalp of Kirk Samuels, Goresbrook were well on top.

However a flurry of wides, combined with some big hitting from Clive Witter took Hawks to 108-4 before Messenger broke the partnership with the wicket of Jason Samuels. That wicket opened the door for the visitors and they were able to wrap up the Hawks innings for 122, Witter being the last man out for 36, giving Goresbrook a 57-run victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post