Dagenham boxers progress into national quarter-finals
- Credit: Dagenham BC
Dagenham Boxing duo Kaizer Syed and Harry Carter have progressed into the National Junior Championships quarter-finals.
Syed was expected to compete twice last weekend, after entering this year’s Junior Boxing Championships.
However, he was awarded the London regional title via a ‘walkover’, as the only entry in his age and weight category - cadet class (born 2006), under 52kg.
He will be joined at this coming weekend's national quarter-finals in Ramsgate by club mate Harry Carter, who boxed twice over the weekend.
On Saturday (October 2), Carter made the journey to Springwest Academy, Feltham, where he met Paddy Cash (Westside ABC) in the junior class (born 2005) 60kg London semi-final.
You may also want to watch:
In an exciting bout, Carter made a fast start and maintained a high work rate to edge the first round on the scorecards.
Cash hit back in the second round, but Carter moved up a gear and outworked Cash to earn a 4-1 split decision and a place in the London final.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 10 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
On Sunday, Carter met Jamie Hall (White Hart Lane Boxing Academy), who had progressed to the final via a ‘walkover’.
A huge lightweight, the 6’1” tall Hall used his reach and height advantage well, but it was Carter who closed the gap with quickfire combinations to edge the first round.
In the second round, Hall moved to a safe distance, with Carter struggling to close down the gap.
In an exciting third round, with the result in the balance, Hall used single jabs but Carter’s powerful driving combinations helped him to take a 3-2 split decision.
Carter won his second London regional title, following a successful schools title campaign two years ago.
Dagenham’s Marcus Bassi was also in action against Musa Sheikh (Fairbairn ABC) where he was defeated after the referee intervened in the second round.
In this weekend’s National quarter-finals, hosted by Southern Counties ABA, Syed meets Cameron Pooley (Hastings West Hill ABC) and Harry Carter meets Jack Carter (Wiseman Boxing Academy).