Two Dagenham boxers bag victories in Canterbury
- Credit: Dagenham BC
Two Dagenham schoolboy boxers were in action on Saturday at the Prince of Wales Boxing Academy, in Canterbury.
Ollie Warner, 11, made his debut with an excellent win over James Sherridan (Newham ABC) in an exciting tussle between two very good prospects.
Despite a slow start, Warner picked up the pace in the second and third round with perfectly timed feints which triggered his opponent's attacks, allowing young Warner to counter with well timed and placed backhands.
A split 4-1 victory to the Dagenham youngster was welcomed.
Next up, the improved 13-year-old Jayden Slade dropped a razor tight split decision to Ben Harrington (Maidstone) in a very evenly matched bout.
You may also want to watch:
The taller Harrington used his reach to win the first round, but Slade hit back with solid counters in the second round, and looked to have edged the third round with quickfire combinations.
But the verdict was awarded to Harrington by way of a 3-2 split decision from the judges.
- 1 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 2 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 3 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 4 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 5 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 6 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 7 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 8 College students lend a hand to improve recreation ground
- 9 Students work with film crews on Amazon, Apple and Netflix productions
- 10 Dagenham boss hails squad options ahead of Wrexham trip
Slade now looks forward to his first taste of championship boxing, when the England Boxing Schools' Championships get underway next week.
He enters the Class A group for boxers born in 2008, in the 44.5kg weight category.