Dagenham’s Landers misses out on Monaco
PUBLISHED: 14:00 11 February 2015
Youngster set to feature on club’s dinner show
Dagenham prospect George Landers gets a home date at the club dinner show on February 21, after plans to appear on a world title bill in Monaco the same night fell through.
National semi-finalist Landers had been all set for a bout on the undercard of the Gennady Golovkin v Martin Murray world super-middleweight title bout in Monte Carlo.
Amateur contests on pro shows are permitted in some countries and Landers was looking forward to his chance to appear on the massive world title bill where he was due to face Monaco prospect Jorge Micallef.
The Dagenham youngster was going with the blessing of his club who had organised the boxing permit and travel insurance for Landers and two coaches.
But club officials became concerned when the organisers came up with different details.
“It would have been a wonderful opportunity for him to box on a massive bill, but when travel arrangements were changed, we were advised to decline the unusual offer,” said Daggers club secretary Danny O’Sullivan.
“Now George gets his chance to appear on our club dinner show, his contest is just one of the outstanding bouts planned at the Prince Regent Hotel.”
Popular home boxers appearing alongside Landers include Marvin Lombi, Dan Landy, Louie Taylor and brothers Kerim and Tariq Agius.
Special guests for the night are former club boxers making their names in the pro ranks, including world title challenger Kevin Mitchell, former Commonwealth champion Tony Conquest and unbeaten prospect Martin Ward.
“It’s going to be a special night with some great bouts, live music and some sports memorabilia to be auctioned,” added O’Sullivan.
Tickets for the dinner show, priced £45, are available from organiser Paul Barrie on 07846 311 280.
Former Dagenham amateurs Paul and Sonny Upton celebrated wins at the Park Lane Hotel on Thursday.
Super-welterweight Paul made it six straight wins as a pro when he outpointed Lincoln rival Aaron Robinson, dictating the exchanges with accurate attacks to win 40-38 on the scorecard of referee Kieran McCann.
Brother Sonny, also campaigning at super-welterweight, boxed his way to a points victory over Cardiff rival Gareth Piper, winning every round for a 40-36 success on the Mickey Helliet promotion at the West London hotel.
The Upton clan are out in force again at York Hall on Saturday March 7 when super-lightweight Anthony, winner of seven pro bouts, joins Paul and Sonny on the Goodwin Promotions bill.
n Barking super-welterweight Aaron Morgan scored his sixth straight victory at Camden on Saturday, but was taken the distance for the first time by tough Czech rival Jan Balog.
Morgan looked like adding another inside-the-distance win to his record when powerful hooks dropped his rival to the floor in the second round.
But the experienced Balog showed his durabilty to climb up and absorbed further punishment to survive until the final bell when Morgan took a well-deserved points verdict.
“I thought the referee could have halted the contest when Balog was under pressure, but I was happy to go the full six rounds,” said former Islington amateur Morgan.
The 26-year-old, who has fought all his pro bouts at the Camden venue, aims to continue his winning run and move into the title picture later in 2015.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.