Dagenham & Redbridge F.C
Salford City F.C
Jordan Turnbull (3)
Dagenham crash out of FA Cup with defeat to Salford City
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
An early header from Jordan Turnbull meant Dagenham & Redbridge crashed out in the first round of the FA Trophy at the hands of League Two Salford City.
The game was however overshadowed when it was ground to a halt in the 89th minute due to a supporter needing medical attention at Victoria Road before play resumed shortly after.
It was a nightmare start for the hosts Dagenham as Salford opened the scoring in the third minute of play when Turnbull headed home a Liam Shephard's cross.
The hosts had chances to equalise but Callum Reynolds could only hit a post.
However, there were worrying scenes at Victoria Road late on when medics and stewards quickly rushed on to the pitch to help a supporter, who had suffered a head injury and was later carried off on a stretcher to gain further treatment.
The win takes Salford, 19th in League Two, into round two for a second consecutive season; they went out to Newport County at that phase in 2020-21.
However, they had to work hard for the win - Salford goalkeeper Connor Ripley did well to keep out Myles Weston's angled strike and Matt Robinson's low effort in the first half.
- 1 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 2 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 3 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 4 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 5 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 6 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 7 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 8 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 9 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 10 Teenager who died in Barking waterway named as Azoulas Zygelis
After the break, the Daggers continued to create chances, but Angelo Balanta twice shot at Ripley, who also tipped a George Saunders shot over the bar.
Following the medical incident, there were 10 minutes of added time, but the hosts could not force a cup replay.
Salford have never made it into the third round of the FA Cup, also losing in the second round in 2015-16.