Cricket: Essex reopen Graham Gooch Centre
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
The Allen Ford Group Graham Gooch Cricket Centre was relaunched this week and, after significant investment, is now ready for cricket action.
The centre now boasts five lanes, spacious changing rooms and shower facilities, a public viewing gallery and on-site parking, plus newly refurbished nets, flooring and lighting.
The centre caters for visitors aged five years old and above and offers one-to-one cricket coaching for adults and juniors, holiday coaching courses and indoor cricket leagues, as well as being the main indoor facility for the Essex first-team squad throughout the year.
The new refurbished centre was opened by Graham Gooch OBE, Essex County Cricket Club Ambassador, who said: “The Allen Ford Group Graham Gooch Cricket Centre has become an integral cricket hub in the development of cricket in the region.
“Thanks to the substantial investment, from the ECB and others, the centre can continue to be a first-class facility at grassroots level through to the Essex first team.
You may also want to watch:
“I am thrilled to have been part of the project and help fund the great new facilities through my Scholarship and my thanks extends to the other contributors who have helped with the project.”
The ECB were the major funders of the scheme, providing a grant of £150,000, and Bruce Cruse, the ECB Head of Participation, said: “We were delighted to support this project and give a boost to the development of the game for all age groups. I am confident as the investment matures, the redevelopment of the Centre will be of major benefit to cricket in Essex and the community more generally.”
- 1 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 3 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 4 Mum plans 30-mile walk to Barking Station to raise money to help son take first steps
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 7 London boroughs with fastest and slowest wage growth revealed
- 8 Admissions open for new Barking school
- 9 Barking and Dagenham racks up most blue badge-related fines, study shows
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
Essex Cricket would like to extend thanks to the England & Wales Cricket Board, Graham Gooch Scholarship Fund, Essex Cricket Foundation, Essex and Southend Sports Trust (EASST) and the Essex Boundary Club.
The Allen Ford Group Graham Gooch Cricket Centre and its new facilities are available to hire on a daily basis throughout the year, with further information available at essexcricketcentre.co.uk or by phone 01245 254028.