FA Cup: Hornchurch and Wingate progress as Barking go to a replay
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
FA Trophy winners Hornchurch sealed a huge 4-1 victory over Barton Rovers in their first qualifying round tie replay.
A hat-trick from Sam Higgins and another goal from Charlie Ruff helped guide them into the next round where they will face Walthamstow.
Higgins drilled home a rebound to make it 1-0 after Liam Nash hit the post with his effort in the 22nd minute.
Two minutes later former Chelmsford City striker Higgins had his second of the match glanced home a Nash free-kick.
A handball from Urchins Jordan Clark awarded Barton a penalty and up stepped Bradley Bell who tucked the ball home in the 39th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Early in the second-half, Higgins completed his hat-trick as he fired home after Charlie Ruff laid the ball back to him, following a long ball over the top.
It was 4-1 in the 61st minute as captain Lewwis Spence broke with the ball and picked out Ruff who finished it off.
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 3 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 6 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 9 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 10 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
League rivals Wingate & Finchley also bagged themselves a spot in the next round as they thumped Basildon United 6-1.
A brace from Ibrahim Meite as well as goals from Sam Hatton, Darnell Goather-Braithwaite, Alphanso Kennedy and Bilal Sayoud sealed the win for Marc Weatherstone’s men.
They will now meet Baldock Town in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup.
Elsewhere, Barking drew 1-1 with league rivals Aveley in their first qualifying round clash.
Barney Williams opened the scoring for the Blues in the 60th minute.
Seven minutes later Jon Nzengo levelled the score for the Millers.
The two sides will now meet again in a replay.