National League: AFC Fylde 3 Dagenham & Redbridge 0

PUBLISHED: 16:52 23 November 2019 | UPDATED: 16:52 23 November 2019

Peter Taylor issues instructions (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Peter Taylor issues instructions (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Dagenham & Redbridge were brought back down to earth by defeat at Fylde on Saturday.

Having romped to a 6-1 home win over Aldershot Town a week earlier, Peter Taylor's men travelled in high spirits.

But their hopes were shattered after conceding three times in the first half at Mill Farm.

Mark Yeates dragged a shot wide on six minutes but Chike Kandi had a well-struck volley blocked at the other end soon after.

Reece Grant had penalty claims waved away before the hosts took the lead on 16 minutes as Yeates found space in the box to volley past Elliot Justham.

Mitch Brundle fired across goal after good work from Kandi, who then saw a cross evade Joe Quigley and Joan Luque.

And Luque were denied by a fine save from Hornby on 23 minutes when Andrew Eleftheriou picked him out.

Kenny Clark and Will Wright did well to deny Fylde twice in quick succession, while Justham saved at his near post to thwart Rowe.

Toby Stevenson also produced a timely block before Quigley flicked on for Grant, whose shot was deflected behind.

You may also want to watch:

Hornby held on to Brundle's header, then gathered a stinging drive from Matt Robinson at the second attempt on 37 minutes.

But Fylde doubled their lead just before the reak when Jordan Williams slotted past Justham and then made it 3-0 in stoppage time as Danny Rowe fired home.

Brundle saw a shot fly just over the crossbar straight after the restart, while substitute Bagasan Graham found Quigley, whose effort came to nothing.

Clark was booked for a poorly-timed challenge, before Justham produced an excellent save to keep out Rowe's volley on 53 minutes.

Quigley was inches wide at the other end after making space for himself, while good balls from Graham and Kandi were dealt with by the Rovers defence.

And Graham saw a near-post effort pushed behind for a corner after beating his man, while Quigley flashed a shot just past the post on 68 minutes.

Graham was released on the left, but took too long on the ball in the box and was caught by the last Fylde defender, before Kandi made way for James Dobson.

But the visitors could not make any impact as they were left empty-handed.

Dagenham: Justham, Eleftheriou, Wright, Clark, Stevenson, Brundle (Wood 86), Robinson, Kandi (Dobson 84), Lugue (Graham 46), Grant, Quigley.

Unused subs: Seande, McQueen.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post