Another late goal conceded but Daggers earn impressive point at Adams Park

PUBLISHED: 17:29 25 October 2014 | UPDATED: 17:29 25 October 2014

Jamie Cureton of Dagenham and Redbridge scores the opening goal against Wycombe Wanderers (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Jamie Cureton of Dagenham and Redbridge scores the opening goal against Wycombe Wanderers (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

Sky Bet League Two: Wycombe Wanderers 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 1

Sam Wood of Wycombe Wanderers and Damien Batt of Dagenham and Redbridge (pic:Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).Sam Wood of Wycombe Wanderers and Damien Batt of Dagenham and Redbridge (pic:Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Dagenham & Redbridge held league leaders Wycombe Wanderers to a draw at Adams Park but could have taken all three points had they not conceded another goal towards the end of the match.

Peter Murphy headed in an equaliser seven minutes from time after Jamie Cureton had given the visitors the lead.

Whilst manager Wayne Burnett was sent off late on for showing his frustration at a decision by the referee, but despite that he woudld have been proud of the performances of his team.

And the point ends a run of two consecutive defeats for Daggers and gives them and their manager a much needed boost.

Burnett only made one change to the side beaten at Luton on Tuesday with George Porter starting following his impressive cameo, in place of Matt Partridge.

It was the hosts who made the better start with Paris Cowan-Hall, Sam Wood and Josh Scowen all having decent efforts inside the opening six minutes.

And with a quarter of an hour played Wycombe came agonisingly close to taking the lead through Peter Murphy.

Paul Hayes controlled the ball on the edge of the box and teased Daggers keeper Mark Cousins with a floated cross.

Cousins was unable to come out and grasp the ball and Murphy powered a header against the crossbar before play was stopped shortly afterwards as Andre Boucaud had been down with a injury.

The Victoria Road outfit didn’t have a shot on goal until 25 minutes had been played but even then Ashley Chambers effort was tame and easily stopped by Matt Ingram.

Six minutes later and Cousins was called into action when an outstanding header from the edge of the area by Aaron Pierre forced the away keeper to tip over the bar.

But although the chairboys were clearly enjoying the more possession, Burnett’s team looked comfortable enough and roared on by their vocal travelling support they looked more confident as the half progressed.

Steven Craig linked up well with Wood just before break for the hosts but his low strike was held and the half time whistle followed shortly afterwards.

Daggers came out for the second half with good intent and although an early corner was cleared, it signalled a different approach from Burnett’s team.

Despite the visitors approach, Wycombe substitute Max Kretzschmar should have put them ahead in the 51st minute when Craig outmuscled Nathan Green on the left.

He passed into Paul Hayes, who laid back for the sub but he curled wide just 10-yards out.

The away side came straight back though and went extremely close to taking the lead twice in two minutes.

First Damian Batt should great pace down the right side and cut inside his marker before forcing Ingram into an excellent finger tipped stop.

And from the resulting corner Ashley Chambers delivery was flicked on to the back post, where Cureton controlled the ball inside but after working space smashed his effort over the bar.

The game had a real end to end feel about it now as Kretzschmar had another effort before Burnett’s team continued to cause problems for the chairboys.

Ade Yusuff went on a trademark run down the right but he couldn’t get hold of his shoot and Ingram again saved easily.

But shortly afterwards and the Wycombe keeper was beaten and it was no more than Daggers deserved.

Porter got to the byline and cut back for Yusuff and although his shot was blocked, Cureton was able to poke in from a few yards out for his sixth goal of the season.

Cureton had looked bright all game but was now full of confidence and had two shots blocked on the edge of box before he majestically plucked Porter’s long ball out of the air but Aaron Pierre come across to clear.

Wycombe looked to find a response but Burnett’s team held strong with Green, in particular, battling well and making two important blocks.

The left-back then took a ball straight to the face and was down for a short while afterwards but despite the hosts manager Gareth Ainsworth signalling straight away to the referee, it took the official some time to stop the match.

Green wasn’t able to continue and was replaced by Partridge with Christian Dodige also replacing the goalscorer Cureton.

Wycombe players and fans were calling for a penalty a minute later when Batt threw himself in front of Wood’s effort but nothing was given and Daggers’ lead remained.

Unfortunately seven minutes from time it was whipped out as the hosts good spell of pressure brought them the equaliser through Murphy.

Wood was given too much time on the left and clipped a beautiful ball into the box which was powered home by the chairboys midfielder.

A minute from time Burnett was sent off by referee Scott Mathieson for showing his frustration at a number of decisions by the official by trying to kick the ball.

The ball had bounced off for a throw and the Daggers boss, infuriated by an earlier decision not to award a free kick to his side for a blatent foul on Scott Doe, showed his anger by kicking the ball and was given his marching orders by the man in the middle.

Murphy could have won the game for the hosts in the first minute of five added on but slashed over the bar after a poor clearance from Scott Doe and it finished level.

Although Daggers would have been disappointed to concede late on, it was another solid display by them on the road and eases the pressure on manager Burnett.

Wycombe Wanderers: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Pierre, Mawson, Cowan-Hall (Kretzschmar 42), Murphy, Scowen, Wood, Hayes, Craig (McClure 73).

Unused substitutes: Richardson, Lewis, Bloomfield, Rowe, Walker.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Batt, Green (Partridge 77), Doe, Saah, Chambers (Goldberg 89), Boucaud, Bingham, Porter, Cureton (Dodige 77), Yusuff.

Unused substitutes: O’Brien, Connors, Hemmings, Raymond.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post