Daggers held by Halifax as both sides see red

PUBLISHED: 16:59 08 December 2018

Conor Wilkinson of Dagenham & Redbridge against Halifax Town (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Conor Wilkinson of Dagenham & Redbridge against Halifax Town (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Vanarama National League: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 (Munns 60) Halifax Town 1 (Clarke 80)

Dagenham & Redbridge were held to a 1-1 draw by Halifax Town in the Vanarama National League, despite the visitors playing for almost an hour with 10 men.

In a dull first half, a red card for the Shaymen’s Josh Staunton was a rare talking point.

Though Jack Munns fired Peter Taylor’s men ahead in the second half, the visitors drew level in the final 10 minutes.

There was another blow late on as home skipper Ben Nunn picked up two bookings in quick succession to be sent off.

Daggers were forced into one change from the XI that won at Hartlepool United last weekend, with Luke Pennell missing out through injury.

Kenny Clark, a recent signing from divisional rivals Ebbsfleet United, came in at left-back for Pennell to make his first start for Taylor’s men.

Staunton, who played for the Essex club in the 2016/17 season, lined up in midfield for Halifax.

Despite being put under pressure by Town in the opening stages, Daggers created the first real chance of the game in the eighth minute.

Alex McQueen found Angelo Balanta in the box with a cross from the right, but the ex-Boreham Wood man could not direct his header on target.

A free-kick eight minutes later from the edge of the area by Jack Munns looked on target, but was pushed behind for a corner by Shaymen stopper Sam Johnson.

With 10 minutes to go in the half, Staunton’s return to Victoria Road came to an early read as the Halifax man was dismissed, somewhat harshly, for a full-blooded challenge on McQueen.

Despite their man advantage, Daggers could not make the most of it before the break as the sides went in level.

Ollie Harfield came on for the Essex club in place of Harry Phipps at half-time and almost made a swift impact.

The midfielder whipped a delicious ball in from the left in the 48th minute, but McQueen was unable to get a telling touch on the ball to divert it goalwards.

Four minutes later, good play down the left ending with the ball at the feet of Conor Wilkinson inside the box, but the striker’s effort was blocked.

The Victoria Road outfit continued to press with chances for Wilkinson and Balanta as they searched for a breakthrough.

That finally came in the 60th minute when Jack Munns showed good composure to open the scoring.

Daggers worked the ball across the edge of the box before eventually finding Munns, who showed good footwork to fashion room for a shot, before leathering one past Johnson.

The Essex club were unable to kick on from their and add to their lead, which proved costly 10 minutes from time.

A corner from the right by Matty Kosylo found Nathan Clarke at the back post, with the defender powerfully heading home.

With 30 seconds of normal time remaining, a cross from the right by Ben Nunn was headed down by McQueen.

Substitute Tomi Adeloye was first to react, but fired over from 10 yards with his weaker left foot.

The final action came with almost the final kick of the ball as Nunn collected his second booking to be sent off.

That means the right-back will miss next Saturday’s trip to Ebbsfleet United in the FA Trophy, where Peter Taylor’s men will look to return to winning ways.

Daggers (4-4-2): Justham; Nunn, Onariase, Goodliffe, Clark; McQueen, Phipps (Harfield 46), Robinson (Gordon 90+3), Munns; Balanta (Adeloye 88), Wilkinson.

Subs: Moore (GK), Kandi.

Halifax (4-2-3-1): Johnson; Hanson, Brown, Clarke, Sellers; Staunton, Maher; McLeod (Skarz 39), Preston, Kosylo; Southwell (Edwards 66).

Subs: Rowley (GK), Duckworth, Odelusi.

Sent off: Staunton 35.

Referee: Richard Hulme

Attendance: 1,098 (including 47 Halifax fans).

Latest Barking and Dagenham Stories

30 minutes ago

Neighbours are crying out for help from police following a spate of burglaries which left them fearing for their safety.

Yesterday, 19:00

Council chiefs have agreed a deal for the borough to become the landlord of a hotel in Poplar

Yesterday, 16:00

Work on the Overground extension to Barking Riverside is set to begin next year.

Yesterday, 16:00

Daggers have been knocked out in the first round in each of the last two seasons

Yesterday, 15:25

Two teenagers have been charged with the murder of a Dagenham man who was fatally stabbed in Anerley.

Yesterday, 15:00

St Mary’s Lane club lost 24-14 at home to Ilford Wanderers last weekend

Yesterday, 14:00

Vera Sime, one of the original Dagenham Ford strikers, has died aged 88.

Yesterday, 12:00

The step-sister of a stabbed teenager held his hand as he struggled to breathe following a knife attack near his father’s home, a court heard.


The Exchange in Ilford has added a state-of-the-art, Savannah-themed play area, with hand painted animal sculptures, to its brand new family zone, designed by American creative agency Playtime

Are you aged over 25 and an unpaid carer? If you want to return to employment but need practical help and support to get there, Working for Carers can help.

Everest Estates stress-free service guarantees a fixed income for your East London or Essex property every month, even if no one is currently living there. Here they talk about the scheme and explain how it can help you dodge common letting headaches.

Newsletter Sign Up

Barking and Dagenham Post twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now