Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Barrow 4: Daggers sunk by incisive Bluebirds

PUBLISHED: 16:56 26 November 2016 | UPDATED: 16:56 26 November 2016

Luke Guttridge of Dagenham & Redbridge and Ryan Yates of Barrow (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Luke Guttridge of Dagenham & Redbridge and Ryan Yates of Barrow (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

National League: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 (Whitely 65) Barrow 4 (Hughes 41, Harrison 45, 77p, Bennett 63)

Dagenham & Redbridge slipped to a disappointing 4-1 defeat at home to National League promotion rivals Barrow.

Despite a fairly even first half, Daggers were two goals down at the break after conceding twice in quick succession just before the break.

Though they continued to battle in the second half, more errors proved costly as the Essex club suffered more home woe.

Daggers made two changes for the visit of the Bluebirds, both of which were enforced.

With skipper Scott Doe out injured, Magnus Okuonghae slotted straight in at centre-back after signing of Friday.

Andre Boucaud was suspended, which saw Scott Heard come in for his first home start for the club.

Okuonghae was involved within two minutes of kick-off, blocking effort from Barrow forwards Byron Harrison and Richard Bennett.

The other Daggers centre-back, Josh Staunton, almost opened the scoring in the sixth minute, but nodded a corner from Jordan Maguire-Drew just wide.

Two minutes later, Okuonghae conceded a foul for backing into Harrison 20 yards out, but the free-kick from Jordan Williams was straight at Elliot Justham.

With 11 minutes gone, Heard broke into the box after a flick-on from Maguire-Drew, but fired a vicious cross-cum-shot just over the bar.

Daggers went close again in the 16th minute, when an Oliver Hawkins knockdown was half-volleyed at goal by Corey Whitely, but Tim Erlandsson saved brilliantly.

Three minutes later, Maguire-Drew chanced him arm from just right of centre 25 yards out, but his curling effort went just wide of the left upright.

In the 23rd minute, a 35-yard free-kick from the on-loan Brighton & Hove Albion winger nearly caught Erlandsson out, who tipped it behind for a corner.

The resulting corner was cleared, but only as far as Luke Guttridge, whose cross was almost deflected into the net by Moussa Diarra.

Three more corners followed, but the Bluebirds were able to eventually clear their lines.

With three minutes left in the half, however, Daggers fell behind in intriguing circumstances.

A corner from the left was headed at goal by Barrow midfielder Liam Hughes, but Maguire-Drew appeared to have headed it off the line, only for the referee to signal a goal.

The Essex club conceded a quick second in the final minute of the half when Harrison netted after a swift counter.

A loose pass allowed Bluebirds forward Bennett to break at pace, before slipping the ball to Harrison to tap into an empty net as Daggers went into the break two goals down.

They nearly let in a third just after the restart when Jimmy Shepherd gave away possession on the edge of the box, but Justham did well to keep out Bennett’s shot.

In the 50th minute, Daggers forced Erlandsson into a splendid double save, first to deny Whitely with his feet from close range before keeping out a Frankie Raymond effort from 18 yards.

With 27 minutes remaining, Daggers conceded a third as Bennett fired in a venomous half-volley from just inside the left side of the box.

But less than a minute later, the Essex club responded in the perfect way as Whitely found the net.

After initial good work from Guttridge took him into the box and after his shot was saved, he played the ball into the ex-Enfield Town man who slammed home from the penalty spot.

In the 71st minute, Guttridge looked to have found the net himself, but Erlandsson did enough to push the ball behind for a corner.

Five minutes later, Okuonghae conceded a penalty for a push on Diarra in the box from a throw in, with Harrison converting a spot-kick for Barrow’s fourth.

It was a goal that did finish Daggers’ hopes of a comeback, and the Essex club will be desperate at home to Torquay United on Tuesday night.

Dagenham (4-2-3-1): Justham; Shepherd, Okuonghae, Staunton, Widdowson; Heard (Hyde 81), Raymond; Maguire-Drew, Guttridge, Whitely; Hawkins (Benson 77)

Subs: Cousins, Assombalonga, Mitchell

Barrow(4-4-2): Erlandsson; Beeley, Livesey, Diarra, Anderton; Hughes, Harvey, Yates, Williams (Meikle 90+1); Bennett, Harrison (Hannah 85)

Subs: Haworth, Hannah, Wright, Anderson

Attendance: 1,228 (including 99 Barrow fans)

Referee: Robert Whitton

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists