Dagenham & Redbridge 1 West Ham United 2: Daggers hit with Hammer blow as Dan Kemp late strike consigns them to defeat

PUBLISHED: 16:54 22 July 2017 | UPDATED: 11:17 23 July 2017

Grady Diangana of West Ham and Sam Ling of Dagenham & Redbridge (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Grady Diangana of West Ham and Sam Ling of Dagenham & Redbridge (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Friendly: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 (Bloomfield 79p) West Ham United XI 2 (Hector-Ingram 37, Kemp 89)

A late Dan Kemp strike consigned Dagenham & Redbridge to a 2-1 defeat at home to a youthful West Ham United XI.

Jahmal Hector-Ingram struck midway through the first half to give the visitors the lead, but the Essex club, playing their first game of the season at Victoria, hit back through a Mason Bloomfield penalty.

There was a first appearance of pre-season for Daggers forward Corey Whitely, who started behind in-demand forward Oliver Hawkins.

With club captain Scott Doe absent having undergone a hernia operation, fellow defender Craig Robson captained the Essex club.

Before the game, right-back Ben Nunn was spotted walking around Victoria Road with his left arm in a sling – hardly a good sign with two weeks until the start of the National League campaign.

With less than a minute on the clock, West Ham were gifted a chance when Robson took too long on the ball, allowing Hector-Ingram to nick the ball off him.

However, the Hammers youngster was unable to get a shot away before home stopper Mark Cousins rushed out to put Hector-Ingram off, with the ball going out for a goal kick.

At the other end in the fifth minute, Daggers went close themselves to an opener following a well-worked corner.

Whitely played a one-two with Fejiri Okenabirhie on the left, before crossing from the left, with Luke Pennell’s getting too much on his header from six yards which went over.

The match continued to be played at a frantic pace, though there was little in the way of clear-cut chances.

West Ham, however, almost took the lead in the most bizarre of circumstances in the 14th minute when a Pennell clearance cannoned off a visiting player and narrowly wide of the post.

Ten minutes later, Hawkins received a bouncing ball from Okenabirhie on the edge of the box and took two touches to control, before getting his shot away.

Sadly, it flew into the Traditional Bulders Stand, rather than past Hammers stopper Joseph Anang and into the net.

With 17 minutes left in the half, Daggers went close again when a powerfully Whitely effort was pushed behind for a corner by Anang.

From the resulting set-piece, the ball made its way to Hawkins on the penalty spot, before chesting it down and firing at Anang, who could only tip the shot over for another corner, which came to nothing.

West Ham themselves went close in the 32nd minute when a venomous strike from the left by Grady Diangana had to be pushed around the post by Cousins.

However, the visitors were able to open the scoring just five minutes later when Hector-Ingram latched onto an Anthony Scully ball, before dinking over the onrushing Cousins.

Daggers almost found a rapid response when Hawkins tricked and turned his way inside the box in the 39th minute, but his effort was straight at Anang.

With almost the final action of the half, the Hammers stopper was involved again, this time denying Whitely after the Daggers forward had latched on to a Hawkins flick-on.

Nine minutes into the second half, Hector-Ingram had a chance to add a second after breaking past Ling and into the area.

However, the Hammers forward’s shot was smartly saved by Elliot Justham, who came on at half-time, with Joe Powell firing the rebound over.

Justham was in the thick of the action again in the 63rd minute, producing two stunning saves at close range in quick succession to prevent a second for the visitors.

With 11 minutes remaining, Daggers were handed a route back into the match when replacement Bloomfield was fouled in the box.

The home forward dusted himself down to take the spot kick, sending Anang the wrong way from 12 yards.

In the 89th minute, though, West Ham were able to grab the win when substitute Kemp rounded off a quick counter-attack.

Daggers will hope their first win of pre-season comes when they host Stevenage next Saturday.

Daggers (4-4-2): Cousins (Justham 45); Ling (Howells 60), N’Gala, Robson, Pennell (Hyde 73); Whitely (Wheeler 60), Boucaud, Robinson (L Gordon 82), Okenabirhie; Ferrier (Bloomfield 73), Hawkins (Cheek 60)

Subs: White

West Ham (4-4-2): Anang; Pike (Ngakia 85), Akinola, Alese (Wells 75), Hannam; Powell (Kemp 60), Coventry, Henry, Diangana; Hector-Ingram (J Gordon 60), Scully (Rosa, 70)

Subs: McCorkell (GK)

Referee: Rob Whitton

Attendance: 1,615

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post