Dagenham & Redbridge denied by late leveller

PUBLISHED: 21:44 20 October 2015 | UPDATED: 09:19 21 October 2015

Dagenham manager Wayne Burnett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Dagenham manager Wayne Burnett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Sky Bet League Two: York City 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 2

Dagenham & Redbridge again failed to hold onto a lead as they were held to a draw away to York City.

The east Londoners fell behind inside the opening third of the match but battled back to take the lead.

But as the game neared the final minutes, this season’s recurring theme reared its head once more as the Minstermen found an equaliser.

There were just two changes for the visitors to Bootham Crescent, including Andre Boucaud replacing Frankie Raymond after returning from international duty.

Frankie Sutherland was handed his first start, taking over from fellow QPR loanee Jake Mulraney who missed the match altogether.

There was, however, a place on the bench for Joss Labadie following the expiration of his six-month ban.

Dagenham came up against a familiar face in the hosts’ starting XI with Femi Ilesanmi in defence for the Yorkshire club.

Two Daggers were also coming up against their former side with Boucaud and Ashley Chambers returning to their old stamping ground.

It was the east Londoners who created the first chance of the match inside the first five minutes following a cross from Justin Hoyte.

The ball found its way to Kane Ferdinand at the back post, who headed it back across goal before it was cleared as far as Jamie Cureton on the edge of the box.

Rather than find the back of the net for the opener, Cureton’s shot went just wide of the upright.

Daggers kept their bright start going three minutes later when Ashley Chambers let fly from 25 yards,

The shot could only find the arms of York keeper Scott Flinders but it was a good sign of intent from the midfielder who so often looks for the pass instead.

Less than a minute later defender Nyron Nosworthy got himself in a bit of a muddle and inadvertently backheeled the ball into the path of Vadaine Oliver.

Thankfully for the travelling support, housed in the Prostate Cancer UK Stand, Oliver put the ball wide from a central position.

It should have served as a warning sign for the visitors, though, as Oliver opened the scoring seven minutes later.

A cross-shot from Anthony Straker looked to be sailing wide until the Oliver crept in at the far post to convert from close range.

Nosworthy was again at fault in the 23rd minute, gifting the ball to Straker in his own half.

The striker eventually passed it to team mate Michael Collins who mercifully blazed over from the middle of the box.

Despite appearing like the second best team, Daggers drew level with 14 minutes remaining in the half.

Cureton won the ball brilliantly in the tackle just inside the hosts’ half and burst forward, creating a chance for Ashley Hemmings who was heading towards the box.

It looked like Hemmings would reach the ball second but he somehow got there, firing hard first time and into the net.

Liam O’Brien made a good save from Straker eight minutes later while Josh Pask motored forward before firing just wide as the two sides went in level.

Eleven minutes after the break and with their first real foray into the Minstermen’s box in the second half, Daggers took the lead.

Hemmings retuned the favour for his earlier strike as he found Cureton, who gave the assist for the former’s first half strike.

The veteran striker has struggled in front of goal this season but showed no sign of nerves as he toe-poked home from a matter of yards to the delight of the away fans.

Dagenham so nearly gave up their advantage just four minutes later when Boucaud headed Straker’s free kick against his own cross bar before it was cleared.

With 20 minutes left Chambers was presented with a glorious chance to extend the lead inside the box but took too long to fire away.

The ball found its way back to Hemmings who chipped the ball high but Ferdinand’s downward header could only find Flinders.

Keeping up the pressure less than a minute later, Chambers found Cureton on the edge of the box.

Cureton twisted and turned before firing from 18 yards and all Flinders could do was turn the ball behind for a corner that came to nothing.

Those misses proved costly as in the 79th minute York levelled the scores once again to set up a tense finale.

After a few bites at the cherry, Michael Coulson rattled the ball into the back of net with a fine shot which O’Brien could do nothing about.

The keeper’s efforts in saving that goal also saw him go off five minutes later clutching his left shoulder with Mark Cousins taking over between the sticks.

Cousins was swiftly called upon to turn the ball behind from Rhys Turner after the Minstermen replacement was found in the box.

Not much else happened in the remainder of the game as it ended level but Dagenham move out of the bottom two with Yeovil Town losing.

Daggers: O’Brien (Cousins 84); Passley, Nosworthy, Pask, Hoyte; Boucaud (Labadie 88), Ferdinand; Sutherland, Chambers, Hemmings; Cureton (McClure 81)

Unused subs: Connors, Dikamona, Jones, Raymond

Attendance: 2,559 (including 65 Daggers fans)

Referee: Chris Sarginson

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists