Dagenham & Redbridge: John Still disappointed with skipper Scott Doe after conceding penalty in FA Trophy loss at Hereford

PUBLISHED: 17:30 18 December 2017

Scott Doe of Dagenham & Redbridge (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Scott Doe of Dagenham & Redbridge (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

After battling back from two goals down, Daggers lost to late penalty for Bulls

Dagenham & Redbridge manager John Still criticised defender Scott Doe for conceding what proved to be a decisive penalty in the 3-2 FA Trophy first round loss at Hereford.

For the second season in succession, Daggers’ exited the FA Trophy in the first round against a team from the seventh tier of English football, having lost 2-1 at home to Worthing last term.

The Essex club trailed by two goals midway through the first half after Billy Murphy and Lance Smith struck for the Bulls, who ply their trade in the Southern League Premier.

However, a Jack Deaman own goal and an effort from Michael Cheek saw the Victoria Road outfit draw level with 20 minutes remaining.

In the 76th minute, though, skipper Doe gave away a penalty which Hereford striker Mike Symons converted to send Daggers crashing out of the cup.

And Still was not pleased with his captain, believing it was a foul he did not have to make.

“We made some attacking changes and Hereford scored from a needless penalty,” said the 67-year-old.

“The ball’s going out of play and Scott’s given away a penalty — I don’t know why. We had a couple of chances after that, but there wasn’t much in the game in the second half.”

Daggers endured a slow start at Edgar Street, with Hereford’s first two goals coming inside 26 minutes.

The Essex club showed good powers of recovery to draw level in the match, even if they did go on to eventually lose.

It could have been a different story had they started better against the Bulls, and Still was left to rue what might have been.

“I think first half, we were still on the bus and I don’t think we did very well,” he added.

“Hereford were deservedly in front, so I don’t have any complaints with that.

“Second half, we got ourselves back in it and I think both teams wanted to win it and not have a replay.”

After losing an FA Cup replay at home to Fleetwood Town on Thursday, Hereford boss Peter Beadle made six changes, but was pleased with how his side fared.

“They played their full strength team, so it goes to show that it was an even bigger performance, especially for those boys who haven’t been playing much lately,” he told the Hereford Times.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post