Dagenham & Redbridge stung by Barnet

PUBLISHED: 17:00 26 September 2015 | UPDATED: 17:00 26 September 2015

Dagenham manager Wayne Burnett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Dagenham manager Wayne Burnett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Sky Bet League Two: Barnet 3 Dagenham & Redbridge 1

Dagenham & Redbridge slumped to their fifth league defeat of the season away to London rivals Barnet.

Wayne Burnett’s men travelled to The Hive full of optimism that they could pick up their second win in League Two this season.

But from start to finish, the Bees were buzzing and took control of play from as early as the first 10 seconds.

The visitors made two changes for the trip across the capital, with Jamie Cureton and Niko Hamalainen replacing Matt McClure and Zavon Hines.

Liam O’Brien was making his return to west London, having played for the Bees prior to signing at Victoria Road.

Dagenham could have fallen behind inside the first 10 seconds when Sam Togwell passed from the left for Aaron McLean on the edge of the box.

The striker, who had been on trial at Victoria Road earlier in the summer, was in acres of space but completely missed the ball attempting a first time shot.

But the visitors did not heed the warning sign with Barnet taking the lead after exactly 60 seconds.

John Akinde held the ball up well in the box before laying it off to Michael Gash, who stroked home at the near post.

Daggers best chance in the opening exchanges came when Kane Ferdinand passed to Christian Doidge on the edge of the area.

The Welshman shot first time and scuffed his effort but it almost trickled into the left corner of the net, instead going just wide of the post.

Barnet continued to control the match but Daggers came close again in the 29th minute from a corner.

Ayo Obileye’s header was cleared off the line before further efforts from Cureton and Obileye and Hamalainen were blocked.

The ball went out for another corner that was caught by Barnet keeper Max Crocombe.

And the misses proved costly when just five minutes later Barnet went further ahead through Andy Yiadom.

Akinde was again using his strength to hold the ball up before passing to the right back, who curled a left-footed effort past O’Brien and into the net.

And less than two minutes later, Yiadom went close with a carbon copy of his goal but the ball shaved the left hand post on its way wide.

Daggers introduced Jodi Jones and Zavon Hines at half time, and the two quickly combined to great impact.

Hines cross sailed all the way across the box to Jones, who let fly from a tight angle and Crocombe could only fumble the save.

But Barnet soon extended their lead again with Gash gobbling up his second of the afternoon.

McLean’s close range free kick was blocked by the wall that contained eight visiting players, but Gash was on hand to lash in the rebound.

It could have been four in the 64th minute when Akinde struck powerfully at goal but saw his effort smash off the left upright.

His miss provided Daggers with a glimmer of hope, which was taken brilliantly by Jones just over a minute later.

The visitors were handed a free kick on the right edge of the area, and the young winger stepped up to strike it in off the post.

Jones’ goal, though, seemed to anger the beast that is Akinde who was brilliantly denied twice in quick succession by O’Brien.

The chances then became few and far between for both sides as Barnet clung on to win, while Daggers remain with just one league success to their name this season.

Daggers: O’Brien; Passley, Nosworthy, Obileye, Widdowson; Hemmings (Hines 46), Boucaud, Ferdinand, Hamalainen (Jones 46); Doidge, Cureton

Unused subs: Cousins, Connors, Dikamona, McClure, Chambers

Attendance: 2,079 (including 330 Dagenham fans)

Referee: Dean Whitestone

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post