Daggers suffer late Wynter blow against Eastleigh

PUBLISHED: 14:30 22 September 2018 | UPDATED: 14:53 22 September 2018

Elliot Justham of Dagenham & Redbridge (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Elliot Justham of Dagenham & Redbridge (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

National League: Eastleigh 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 0

Dagenham & Redbridge fell to a late 1-0 defeat as Alex Wynter put an end to their four game unbeaten run in the National League in the dying stages.

Daggers defended resolutely in the damp conditions against a dominant Eastleigh but in the end conceded in the 88th minute to come away from the Silvelake Stadium with nothing to show for their efforts.

Manager Peter Taylor made one change from his side’s that drew 1-1 against Chesterfield on the weekend with Harry Donovan coming in to replace Ollie Harfield who dropped to the bench.

The first chance of the match fell to the hosts when Mark Yates beat his marker down the right but was unable to convert his chance in the sixth minute.

Three minutes later Daggers got a chance of their own when Adeloye broke into the box but sent the flying over the goal for a goal kick.

Moments later the 22-year-old attacker had another chance as he broke through once again but it was cleared out for a corner.

The visitors made nothing of the corner and ended up finding themselves on the back foot.

Eastleigh duo Josh Hare and Yeates combined in the 16th minute, but defender Luke Pennell managed to clear it behind for a corner, but they failed to use it to their advantage.

Yeates continued to cause problems as he put a dangerous ball into the box close to the goal, only narrowly missing a team-mate in the box.

In the 27th minute it was Adeloye who worked his socks off to win the ball in the final third and make a rapid run toward goal but sent his effort wide.

The game then opened up and was end-to-end for the next ten minutes or so before Chike Kandi broke into the box, put the ball back across the box to Adeloye, but Alex Wynter was there to make a crucial block.

Daggers had a golden chance to take the lead on the stroke of half-time as Oscar Gobern went in hard and took Matt Robinson’s leg away giving the visitors a penalty.

Kandi stepped up to the spot but was denied by Eastleigh’s new recruit Max Stryjek, who joined the club on loan from Sunderland earlier this week, after former goalkeeper Graham Stack retired.

Six minutes into the scond-half Elliott Romain flung himself at an Adeloye cross, but just couldn’t get on the end of the ball.

The hosts brought on Chris Zebroski and he gave them a spark as they starting applying some intense pressure on Taylor’s side.

Two chances for the Spitfires with Will Wright doing well to block Yeates’ shot with the first attempt before the ball fell to Jack Payne, who volleyed it out of the airbut his effort from range was just over.

In the 64th minute substitute Zebroski had his first effort since coming on, but it had little power and trickled wide.

Eastleigh kept pushing for a goal and this time it was Yeates who delivered a good corner into the Daggers box, but Johnson failed to connect with his header.

Andy Hessenthaler’s side continued their dominance and in the 74th minute Yeates drove forward and unleashed a curled effort that flied over Justham’s crossbar before McCallum’s header went into the Daggers keeper’s hands just moments later.

Daggers substitute Lamar Reynolds had a dig from distance but fired into the hands of Stryjek and then the ball went straight back down the other end.

Goalkeeper Justham saved the day for the Daggers as he made an instinctive save to deny McCallum from close range as he stuck his knee and hand in front of his effort.

Justham then reacted perfectly to keep his side in the match once again as he denied a header from McCallum after he rose up to get on the end of an incoming corner.

Substitute James Constable turned and fired a volley from inside the box from a Yeates corner but sent it over the bar with four minutes left in the match.

The hosts finally found the back of the net with two minutes left in the match when Yeates delivered a good corner in which was met by the head of Alex Wynter who headed it home.

Although, Eastleigh did suffer a huge blow when striker McCallum received a second yellow card and was sent off in the 94th minute of the match.

Eastleigh: Stryjek, Wynter, Green, Johnson, Milley, Payne (Constable 81), Jones, Hare, Yeates, Gobern (Zebroski 55), McCallum.

Unused subs: Boyce, Hollands, Dennett.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Hoyte (McQueen 89), Goodliffe, Pennell, Gordon, Wright, Robinson, Donovan (Phipps 79), Kandi, Adeloye (Reynolds 70), Romain.

Unused subs: Moore and Harfield.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists