Search

Doe goes but Bingham’s still undecided

PUBLISHED: 14:00 30 June 2015

Scott Doe will not be signing a new deal (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Scott Doe will not be signing a new deal (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

Daggers boss gives update on futures of defender and midfielder

Billy Bingham of Dagenham and Redbridge (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)Billy Bingham of Dagenham and Redbridge (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Wayne Burnett has confirmed that Scott Doe has left Dagenham & Redbridge following the news earlier this month that the defender had rejected a new deal.

Doe’s contract officially expires today and the 26-year-old has decided to leave Victoria Road in search of a new adventure.

While confirmation of the news was far from a surprise after Burnett had revealed earlier in June that Doe had declinded a new deal, the Daggers manager was still sad to see him go.

“Scott has decided it’s time for him to move on, we wanted to keep him,” Burnett told the club website. “But he wanted to try something new, which we are all disappointed about. We wish him well, he’s been fantastic for this football club.”

The future of one of Doe’s former team mates, though, is still up in the air with Billy Bingham still yet to sign a new deal.

The midfielder’s contract was also due to expire today but Burnett confirmed the 24-year-old had been offered new terms to remain in east London.

The Dagenham boss also revealed that he has not heard from the former Crystal Palace youngster for a number of days, adding: “I spoke to Billy at the beginning of May and we offered him a very good deal, we were very keen for him to stay here.

“We agreed he’d go away and think about it as he wasn’t entirely sure what he wanted to do. We are keen to keep him.

“I got a call from his agent about 10 days ago saying that he was still unsure and he was going to speak to some clubs and I haven’t heard anything since. I’ve tried to call him a couple of times but to no avail. For us, we’ve given him a very good deal, we’ll have to wait and see.”

As for new faces Daggers fans can expect to see turning out in red next season, Burnett says the club have suffered yet more frustration in the transfer market.

“We were adamant we were going to sign a player last Monday, we agreed terms and we booked his medical. He was due to sign at 11 o’clock in the morning.

“I got a phone call at 10:30am saying he’d gone to another club. It’s very disappointing, he’s gone to another club for reasons that aren’t footballing reasons.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post