Search

Hard work starts now for Daggers boss Burnett

PUBLISHED: 15:36 10 May 2013

Dagenham manager Wayne Burnett urges on his players in their last game of the season against York (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Dagenham manager Wayne Burnett urges on his players in their last game of the season against York (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Dagenham & Redbridge boss Wayne Burnett has a goalscorer at the top of his shopping list.

Daggers boss Wayne Burnett said the hard work starts now after he was appointed as the club’s permanent manager last week.

Burnett signed a two-year deal at Victoria Road on Thursday and while all the players can enjoy the summer break, the 41-year-old starts work straight away with the aim of improving the club’s fortunes on the pitch.

There had been contract talks between Burnett and the club earlier in the season, but first and foremost he wanted their place in the Football League sealed.

“All the players will be on their breaks but as a manager you can never switch off,” said Burnett. “You will maybe have a couple of weeks rest but you’ll still be thinking about things all the time.

“I made it clear from the start that I wanted the job on a full time basis and hopefully this is the start of a bright future.

“The deal had been in place for a little while, but I put it on hold because I wanted to wait until we knew where we would be.”

The Daggers chief has already outlined targets to bring into the club, with a striker very much top of his list.

Dwight Gayle’s move to Peterborough hit the team hard. With the ex-Arsenal schoolboy in their team, Daggers scored 30 in 20 games but after his exit they hit just 25 in 28.

But Burnett knows a goalscorer will be difficult to come by with the budget he has to work with.

“There will be a shuffle of the pack and we’ll see where the land lies but we know we definitely need a striker. That was clear for everyone to see at the end of the season,” he added.

“The budget is going to be very tight, but we will try and do the best we can. Player wise there is a need for a goalscorer and I’d like another winger as well.

“We have targeted areas of the squad but we are dictated to who and what we can bring in because of the budget.”

With that in mind Burnett hopes the club can start to develop their own talent and sees Crewe as the ideal model to follow.

“You have to bring players into a club most seasons, that is part and parcel of football,” he said “But I can’t see why can’t we follow the Crewe model and bring through our own youngsters.

“Non-league gems are still out there, but there aren’t as many as there used to be. We’re fortunate to have a lot of good youngsters and the youth teams have done fantastically of late with some great coaches so hopefully we can start to develop our own.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post