Hatters treble seals win for Luton and Still over Daggers

PUBLISHED: 16:55 27 July 2013 | UPDATED: 16:55 27 July 2013

Rhys Murphy showed some good touches despite the Daggers failling to defeat at Luton Town. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Rhys Murphy showed some good touches despite the Daggers failling to defeat at Luton Town. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

Pre-season friendly: Luton Town 3 Dagenham & Redbridge 0

Former Daggers boss John Still got one over his former side with a comfortable 3-0 victory at Kenilworth Road.

More worryingly for thevisitors though was that they failed to register a shot on target for the entire 90 minutes as they ready themselves for the League Two opener at Fleetwood Town.

Daggers got off to the worst possible start as only three minutes had been played when they fell behind.

And it was a former Dagger who played a part as Scott Griffiths’ fine ball in found the head of Mark Cullen who headed past an advancing Lewington.

Slowly the visitors got into their stride but Lewington was forced into action once again to deny Andre Gray’s effort from the edge of the area.

Daggers struggled to deal with the ball into the box well and again Cullen got his head to the ball only to see the effort fall wide from Jonathan Smith’s centre, while up the other end Rhys Murphy’s effort was the first of any real note for Wayne Burnett’s side but went high into the stands.

Jon Shaw was another Hatter to go close when his glancing header also fell wide of the mark.

When the Daggers did go forward they were starting to show some promising signs with Luke Howell seeing a shot blocked straight to Gavin Hoyte whose effort was deflected just wide.

Gray missed a great chance to extend the hosts lead two minutes before half time as a cross-field ball cut the Daggers defence in half but Jack Connors tracked back and made it awkward for Gray who shot into the side netting.

It was a better start for the visitors in the second half, as Doe headed against the post from Billy Bingham’s ball in.

Murphy saw a free-kick narrowly curl wide of the target but the hosts put distance between themselves and Daggers when Jake Howell’s inswinging corner was headed home by captain Alex Lacey after 62 minutes.

Substitute Jake Reed almost pulled one back for the Daggers but his left footed shot from just outside the box went just over.

But the hosts moved into an unassailable lead after 77 minutes as Shaun Whalley drifted in off the right, beat his man and shot low past Lewington in the area.s

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Connors (Ilesanmi 63), Doe, Saah, Hoyte, Bingham (Elito 63), Ogogo, Howell, Murphy (Woodall 75), Scott (Dennis 75), Obafemi (Reed 63)

Substitutes not used: Seabright, Shields, Gayle.

Attendance: 1,508 (63 away)

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post