Essex youngsters make a point

PUBLISHED: 13:30 02 February 2015

Honours finished even between Herts and Essex under-18s

Honours finished even between Herts and Essex under-18s


Latest news from the Essex FA

Essex under-18s drew with their rivals from HertfordshireEssex under-18s drew with their rivals from Hertfordshire

A late leveller from Barking Abbey School’s Jamie Carney-Chand earned Essex a share of the spoils in an entertaining 2-2 draw with Hertfordshire at the Letchworth County Ground.

Abbey’s Owen Edobor had given the visitors a first-half lead, but fine strikes from Luke Foster and Alfie Barker put Hertfordshire ahead at the break before Carney-Chand’s late intervention sealed a first East Anglian Counties point of the campaign for Essex.

A bright start from the visitors saw Connor Hogan’s early free kick drop inches over the top. But the action quickly switched to the opposite end where debutant goalkeeper Ellis Holliday made a fine stop to keep out Charlie Joy’s downward header.

Essex’s first effort on-target saw Abbey’s Paulius Ditkevicius’ low shot well saved by home ‘keeper Billy Welch before a fumble by the Herts stopper presented a chance to Edobor.

However, the forward’s effort was cleared off the line and play again shifted quickly to the other end as a chance went the way of the home side as Barker saw his lob drop just off target.

With 24 minutes played, Essex found a way through as Charlie Little and Ditkevicius combined well and latter’s slide-rule pass found the run of Edobor, who finished well with an angled shot beneath Welch.

That lead lasted just 13 minutes, with Hertfordshire hauling themselves level as Luke Foster’s speculative 30-yarder flew in via the fingertips of Holliday.

A minute before the break the turnaround was complete as Barker’s deft lob beat Holliday to hand the hosts a half-time advantage.

Hertfordshire started the second period in the ascendency and a fine save from Essex’s Holliday denied Barker a second before the visitors began to dominate much of the proceedings.

Carney-Chand’s low, pulled back cross was diverted inches past the near post by Ruben Duarte and, as Essex continued to press, defender Conor Kilgannon was forced to knock Little’s teasing cross just past the upright under pressure from Duarte.

Carney-Chand then warmed the gloves of Welch, but the home side weren’t finished either and Barker’s angled, curling effort fell just past the far post.

Good work by Carney-Chand teed-up Remi Awosanya, who smashed wide from 20 yards, but the visitors finally grabbed an equaliser on 80 minutes.

A fine move involving Edobor and Awosanya found its way to Carney-Chand who side-footed home and a final chance for Essex fell to Hogan who drilled narrowly off target as a fine advert for representative football ultimately ended all square.

Essex: Ellis Holliday (Brentwood), Lee Green (Braintree), Elliott Johnson (Tilbury), Jamie Price (Harris Academy), Kye Jude (Burnham), Malaki Toussaint (Great Wakering), Connor Hogan (Brentwood), Paulius Ditkevicius (Barking Abbey School), Owen Edobor (Barking Abbey School), Jamie Carney-Chand (Barking Abbey School), Charlie Little (Hullbridge). Substitutes: Ruben Duarte (Tilbury), Remi Awosanya (Brentwood), Alexis Ndoro (Concord).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post