Haringey Borough 1 Barking 1: Honours even in hard-fought draw

PUBLISHED: 10:00 15 August 2017

Alan Taylor gave Barking the lead at Haringey Borough (pic Terry Gilbert)

Alan Taylor gave Barking the lead at Haringey Borough (pic Terry Gilbert)


Haringey Borough snatched a hard-fought draw with Bostik North new boys Barking after being reduced to 10 men on Monday.

Barking nearly made Haringey keeper Valery Pajetat pay early on after he palmed a cross in the box and Billy Jones won a free-kick in a dangerous area afte a driving run at the home defence, but it was blocked by the wall.

Despite Barking’s early dominance Haringey created a very good chance after a low cross into the box found Anthony McDonald who had his close range shot brilliantly blocked by Ricky Tarbard.

Haringey’s Ramil Sherriff then beat two men with a bit of skill and looked threatening on the right flank, but Barking hit the hosts on the break on 25 minutes.

The ball found its way to the left hand side where Alan Taylor picked it up, cut inside, and curled a brilliant finish past Pajetat to open the scoring.

Barking started the second half brightly on their left hand side, looking for a second goal, but Haringey managed to launch a few attacks of their own after winning the ball in midfield.

Some neat flicks from Jorge Dtassi-Sambu and David Olufemi allowed Haringey to get forward, but a foul by a home player led to some pushing between the two sides, with Dtassi-Sambu and Jones booked.

The resulting free kick was played into Haringey’s half where Dtassi-Sambu was penalised again and shown a second yellow card to receive his marching orders from referee Joel Mannix.

Haringey sent on Ruaridh Kay for Dean Fenton and Quba Gordon for Michael Ademiluyi, but Barking enjoyed a good spell of possession against the 10 men and may have doubled their lead after a low cross was put well over the bar.

The visitors were made to pay for this miss as a run and cross from Rakim Richards was not cleared properly and the ball fell kindly in the box to Scott Mitchell, who took a touch and volleyed into the net.

Barking then brought on Taylor Tombides for Goldy Capela in a bid to regain the lead but the momentum was with Haringey and Christopher Benjamin smashed the crossbar after driving into the box.

The visitors sent on Dan Gilchrist for goalscorer Taylor but it had little effect as the game seemed to calm down towards the finish.

Barking’s Abs Seybour went down with an injury and was replaced by Timi Abiola in stoppage time, but there was still one more Haringey chance after a long ball was brilliantly brought down by Benjamin but his shot was blocked and the game finished all square.

Haringey: Pajetat, O’Donoghue, Mitchell, Fenton (Kay), Olufemi, Ademiluyi (Gordon), Richards (Alkividou), Sherriff, Benjamin, Dtassi-Sambu, McDonald.

Unused Subs: Loizou, Edwards.

Barking: Bowles, Tarbard, Marfo, Willis, Fitzsimons, O’Brien, Capela (Tombides 66), Seymour (Abiola 90), Jones, Ola, Taylor (Gilchrist 85). Unused subs: Putt, Watters.

Referee: Joel Mannix.

Attendance: 188.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post