Future is bright for Woodford Town insists assistant boss ahead of new season
PUBLISHED: 15:00 02 August 2018
The Woods may not be playing at Dagenham & Redbridge or Ashtons Playing Fields, but are optimisic about the campaign ahead
Woodford Town won’t start the new Essex Senior League season at Ashton Playing Fields, but assistant Neil Day believes the future is bright.
Earlier this year, in April, the club announced plans to return to Woodford and be the first football team to play in the town since the original Woodford Town in 1993.
This Woodford Town, who are managed by Dee Safer, were founded in 2007 after a merger between Mauritius Sports and Walthamstow Avenue & Pennant.
Several names changes later and they are Woodford Town and although they will not be starting the new term in Woodford, they believe they will get there eventually.
For the time being Safer’s side will groundshare with Harlow Town and open their account for the season this Friday (August 3) at home to Leyton Athletic.
Assistant boss Day said: “In regard to Ashtons, we had been hopeful of moving in for the start of the season, but it seems matters of this kind rarely move as quickly as you hope or anticipate.
“However we are treating the delay as a chance to consolidate both on and off the pitch. We want to grow our support and fanbase and be even stronger when the ground is ready hopefully for next season.
“It also means details about the ground can be ironed out and maybe an even more impressive stadia can be created, so whatever happens we feel we are on the up and looking forward to a bright future.”
The Woods had originally hoped to play a bit closer to Woodford and had agreed to groundshare with National League club Dagenham & Redbridge at Victoria Road.
Due to no fault of Daggers, it wasn’t able to happen and so Town will now make the trip up the M11 on a regular basis to play at Harlow Arena.
“Chairman Tony Scott did a wonderful job of making sure we had a first class facility to play at,” said Day.
“An agreement was reached with Dagenham & Redbridge, but due to no fault of their own, the arrangement had to be cancelled because of an objection from another third party sharing the ground.
“It was an awkward situation and as a club, we would like to distance ourselves from attaching any blame to any partly involved. It wasn’t to be, but we are very pleased Harlow Town came to the rescue.
“We are hopeful the Friday nights could be popular with fans who might already have Saturday commitments.”
Following Friday’s opener at home to Leyton Athletic, Woodford will then host new boys St Margaretsbury on Tuesday (August 7) looking to start the new campaign on a high at a new home venue.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.