Lee leads way for Barking Road Runners
- Credit: Archant
Impressive second place for Johnson
Barking Road Runners’ Lee Johnson claimed a superb second-place finish at the Orion 5 at Chingford on Saturday.
The race was part of the East London Five Inter-Club Series (ELVIS) and doubled up as a Grand Prix event for Barking, with Johnson clocking 28 minutes 24 seconds.
Derv Bartlett was next Barking athlete home in 32.40, with Diarmuid MacDonnell clocking 33.59.
Martin Page (34.09) was not far behind, while Vicky Cooper was the first Barking woman home in a course personal best of 35.11.
You may also want to watch:
Antony Leckerman (36.50), Robert Antoine (37.43) and Faye Spooner (42.42) were the next to finish, with Alain Cooper (42.50), Mick Davison (43.53), Kresh Veerasamy (44.21), Rakesh Sandhu (44.38), Di Parsons (45.50) and Dennis Spencer-Perkins (47.24) among the next batch.
Rob Courtier defied a leg injury to clock 50.53, with Alison Fryatt (51.17), Nigel Swaby (51.30), Ken Summerfield (52.14), Emma Ley (54.20) and Mick Ball (57.22) completing the Barking line-up.
- 1 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 2 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 3 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 4 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 5 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 6 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 Covid funding boost for charities promoting youth arts and inclusion
- 9 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 10 All borough's care home residents have had first Covid vaccination
Meanwhile, Amanda Heslegrave was busy tackling the third 10k of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park series, finishing in 48.55 which gave her first place in her age category so far.
n A group of 34 runners competed in the second handicap event of the season at Barking Park, with Jenny Birch pipping Nicola Cranmer and Emma Roebuck to top spot in the women’s race.
Ken Summerfield, Diarmuid MacDonnell and Rob Courtier filled the men’s top three.
Derv Bartlett clocked 18.46 at the Assembly League 5k in Battersea Park, while Vicky Cooper came home in 20.47, and Mick Wilby took on the Elephant Run at Clapton Common.
Colin Jones finished the Viking Coastal Marathon at Birchington-on-Sea in Kent in four hours 13 minutes, while Faye Spooner clocked 41.11 for the Ickenham 5-mile event.
Parkrun results, Barking: Philip Ellul 22.01; Barry Culling 23.22; Ella McIntyre 23.23; Cristina Cooper 24.33; John Lang 25.05; David Mottley 29.41; Teresa Doole 32.21; Dawn Blake 35.57.
Raphael Park: Vicki Groves 26.23; Richard Ash 34.02.
Southend: And Preston 21.43.