New Cambell come up short against Essex Open
- Credit: Archant
Regional League squad beaten by local rivals
New Cambell came up short against local rivals Essex Open in their latest Regional League meeting at University of East London’s SportsDock.
There was no shortage of effort across the court, with Eleana Clark and Rochelle Rhodes scoring with some lovely long shots and Kirstie Geary also finding the net on a regular basis.
Ophelia Ponteen defended well against Essex’s young goal shooter, as Lydia Rowlands impressed at centre to keep Cambell within seven goals at one point.
But promotion hopefuls Essex pulled clear in the closing stages to win 62-43, as Tracey Daly took the umpires and players’ player of the match award.
You may also want to watch:
Daly shared the coaches prize with Ponteen, who also got the vote of Essex Open.
Victory over The Downs in their last match of the season will secure third place in Division One for Cambell.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 5 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
Cambell’s Junior Silvers celebrated their first win of the season with a 13-10 success over Virgo.
Excellent defensive work proved key, as Cambell managed to keep their noses in front in a close contest.
Mary Lammas and Roxanne Cornwall took the umpire and coaches player of the match awards.
Meanwhile, an inexperienced Cambell Junior Yellows worked hard for a 7-7 draw against Turtles.
Early nerves were overcome as Cambell worked hard in defence and attack and made lots of interceptions.
Hollie Perry took the umpires player of the match award, while Jessica Egbule earned the coaches vote.