Rugby: May & Baker under-15s edged out against Upminster

PUBLISHED: 12:00 16 January 2018

May & Baker under-15s in action (Pic: Jack Courtney)

May & Baker under-15s in action (Pic: Jack Courtney)


May & Baker under-15s were edged out in close encounter against Upminster in their first game of 2018.

Bakers were a couple of players short ahead of the match and Upminster stepped in to help to ensure the game was played at 15-a-side.

The visitors put on some early pressure and were able to ship the ball wide to break and touch down in the corner.

Upminster didn’t take long to increase their lead when their winger weaved through the Bakers line to score, with the conversion added to make it 12-0.

The hosts were struggling to get into the game despite battling hard, but their fortunes turned when Bakers were able to force a knock on and launch an attack from the resulting scrum.

With ball in hand Bakers started to put together some phases, putting pressure on the Upminster line, and Dylan Ellis thought he was in, only to be stopped inches from the line.

Ellis was able to cross the line shortly after when Bakers were able to pick up a loose kick and launch a multiple-phase attack.

The conversion by Lewis Flemming brought them to within five points, but Upminster had pace to burn and really stretched Bakers to touch down in the corner, with the conversion restoring their 12-point lead.

Despite this setback Bakers continued to punch the ball forward and created a good score of their own when Dominic Hall was able to touch down in the corner.

However, the visitors finished the half with another score giving them a 12-point lead at the break.

The next 10 minutes saw Bakers do themselves no favours as a string of handling errors allowed the visitors to touch down twice more to give them a 36-12 lead.

Bakers showed great character to keep battling and this was rewarded when Matthew James was able to break around the outside, eluding the winger, to cross the whitewash for Bakers’ third try of the game.

The hosts continued to retain ball from the scrum and were rewarded for this work when Ellis was able to cross the line.

They got another two tries in the dying stages to bring the scoreline down to 41-32.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists