Ward wants a big win at Wembley
PUBLISHED: 15:00 13 June 2017
PA Wire/PA Images
British super-featherweight champion Martin Ward defends his title against Belfast’s Anthony Cacace in a clash of unbeaten fighters at the SSE Arena Wembley on July 15.
Cacace has won 15 fights in a row, with former Dagenham schoolboy Ward recording 17 victories and two draws as they head for a showdown onthe Poxon Sports promotion in association with Team Sauerland.
And the 25-year-old Ward is looking forward to his appearance on the show topped by the IBO world super-middleweight title clash between Chris Eubank Junior and Arthur Abraham.
“It’s a great chance for me to shine against a quality challenger at Wembley, with the added bonus of the vacant Commonwealth title at stake,” said Ward, who started his ring career as a Dagenham BC prospect.
It’s the third defence of the title he took against Andy Townend at the O2 Arena last year and he followed up with a win over Scot Ronnie Clarke at Wembley and a victory over Maxi Hughes in Manchester.
Ward, trained by Tony Sims at the Matchroom gym in Brentwood, has already been preparing for the fight that was scheduled to be staged in Belfast earlier this month.
He knows the 28-year-old Ulsterman Cacace could prove his toughest test to date as, like Ward, he enjoyed an outstanding amateur career before his pro successes.
Cacace also holds a stoppage win over Clarke and has sparred extensively with former world champion Anthony Crolla and is quick to praise his rival.
“Ward is a terrific fighter,” said Cacace.
“Like me he is unbeaten and he will come into the ring really fancying his chances.
“I’ve got to show that all the hype about me is true and my game plan is to not only beat him, but to stop him and to show everyone that I’m a new start of the sport.”
The clash will add appeal to the Wembley world title bill that will be screened on ITV Box Office and also features unbeaten super-lightweight Liverpudlian Robbie Davies Jr in title action.
Former Dagenham amateur Jose Lopes looks to get back to winning ways at York Hall on July 8.
Cruiserweight Lopes returns on a Goodwin Promotion after his first defeat in eight pro outings against Ossie Jervier in March.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.