Hammers issue retained list as stars continue on international duty
- Credit: PA
West Ham United has announced its retained list for next season as the club's stars continue to grace the international stage.
The most high profile departure is centre-back Fabián Balbuena, who will be released when his contract expires on June 30.
Balbuena made 62 appearances across three seasons with the Hammers, notching three goals in the process.
The most memorable of these was in last October's unforgettable thriller against Tottenham Hotspur, where the Hammers came from 3-0 down with eight minutes to go to snatch an unlikely 3-3 draw.
Beyond the Paraguayan, young professionals Sean Adarkwa, Olatunji Akinola, Samuel Caiger, Alfie Lewis and Joshua Okotcha will also leave the club.
You may also want to watch:
As previously confirmed, Craig Dawson's loan move from Watford will be made permanent.
A number of players remaining on the Hammers' books have been in action for their national teams over the weekend.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 4 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 5 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 8 Consultation launched on extension of public space order, including alcohol drinking ban
- 9 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 10 Matt Robinson set to agree new deal with Dagenham & Redbridge
Czech duo Vladimír Coufal and Tomáš Souček featured for their country in a 4-0 loss against Italy on Friday evening (June 4).
The pair will hope to fare better when they face England in the delayed Euro 2020 tournament kicking off this Friday (June 11), as the Czech Republic - alongside Scotland and Croatia - complete Group D.
That England squad will feature their Hammers' teammate Declan Rice, who came off the bench during the 1-0 friendly win against Romania at Middlesbrough on Sunday.
Continuing his impressive rise on the international scene, Rice played 24 minutes to notch his 17th England cap.
Soon-to-depart loan star Jesse Lingard was also a substitute in this fixture - with victory secured thanks to a Marcus Rashford penalty.
It was to be Lingard's last turnout for the Three Lions during this campaign, as the in-form forward was unable to make Gareth Southgate's final 26-man squad.
England start their Euros campaign by facing Croatia on Sunday (June 13, 2pm), before meeting Scotland and the Czech Republic on June 18 and 22 respectively.
Elsewhere, Saïd Benrahma earned his ninth cap for Algeria with a brief cameo against Mali.
Replacing Riyad Mahrez for the final five minutes, the Hammers' winger helped see out a 1-0 friendly victory.