Dagenham boss hails squad options ahead of Wrexham trip
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Dagenham & Redbridge manager Daryl McMahon revealed his delight at having so many options at his disposal as the fixtures begin to pile up in the National League.
The Daggers will make the long trip away to big spenders Wrexham on Saturday (September 18) for one of their biggest tests yet this campaign.
The boss praised the likes of Myles Weston and George Saunders, who have been in and out of the line-up.
“We know what Westy can do, he’s a big threat so is George, I thought George was absolutely outstanding in that second half (in the 2-1 win against King's Lynn Town),” McMahon said.
“Some of his footwork and positional play was terrific. Maz (Mauro Vilhete) when he gets into those pockets one v one, we know he’s a threat as well.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got those players, the attitude and application from our whole squad so far this season has been terrific.
“We lost three or four key players at the start of the season, but anyone coming in their work ethic has been terrific.
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 3 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 6 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 9 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 10 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
“George is as exciting as any player in this division for me, when he gets the ball on one v one, Myles is the same, Mauro as well. They can do things that excite our fans and us on the bench.
“It’s important they keep up their goal involvements.”
Midfielders Dean Rance and Harry Phipps featured in the King’s Lynn win to put themselves back in contention while Mo Sagaf, Joey Jones and Scott Wilson could all return from injury for the trip to Wrexham.
Captain Angelo Balanta remains sidelined but other than that McMahon has almost a fully fit squad to choose from.
“I’ve been manager for 18 months, I've not been able to pick him, and I chucked him in today (Saturday). It was probably too early for him to start a game, but I thought he worked ever so hard for us.
“Deano (Rance) is back, again he’ll need some time to get his fitness levels back up. Hopefully this week we’ll have Mo and Joey back to bolster the squad.”